Menu
nutfield
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

overcharged for movies and sports package

I received a call from Virgin's sales department last month offering movies and sports package. Resisting to treat this as a cold call (i.e., since it's Virgin, hence the leeway), I listened to what was on offer. When asked if I would consider paying £7.95 a month for movies and sports package, I politely said No since I told her it's too much money for me and given that I have Netflix, I'm very wary of spending more for movies. I was then offered £4.95 per month, which I can cancel anytime after 30-days. I said Yes, since I can thought for a fiver, I can try out the service. Lo and behold when I got my bill, I was actually charged £4.95 PER WEEK !!!!  When I called to complain, I was told that I was mistaken since from the notes on my account, it stated the weekly rate. Despite my insistence that I was offered the monthly rate at £4.95, the guy from customer service kept on insisting that I was wrong - simply because it was not what was written on the notes. How could I as a consumer be on a level playing field then, when someone could just offer something on the phone, yet write something entirely different in my account to which I'm not privy at all. Then when complaining, Virgin will use the account notes as their defence. I asked for the recording of the sales call, to which I was told that it's not possible to do so. I then asked if I could talk to the sales person who called me, I was again told it's not possible. So, it's just my word then against a supposedly "written notes" on my account. I'm having a difficult time believing that f this is what Virgin has resorted to, i.e., using crass selling tactics to boost revenue. I can't understand why Virgin would offer something on a weekly basis when all prices/rates are on a monthly basis. It's just plain mis-selling then. If this is the case, I was with Sky from 1999 till last year when I switched to Virgin mainly die to the strength of the brand, and secondly from what I've been told as a company with great customer service (unlike Sky). But even with all the absence of customer service, I must admit that Sky did not resort to such depths of sales trickery. I'm hoping that this is just an isolated incident, specifically of a very zealous sales person trying on a sales technique that's not sanctioned by Virgin. I am prepared though to lodge an official complaint to the Financial Ombudsman if Virgin insists that I was offered a weekly rate, even though I repeatedly said during the call that the offer I was receiving was for a monthly rate.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: overcharged for movies and sports package

As Sky sports and Movies would be £36 per month and Virgin have to pay more or less that amount to Sky a £4.95 a month would be unbelievable even that a week is a pretty good offer, I understand that you are unwilling to pay that amount and I wouldn't either as I find Sky's movies and sports overpriced, I obviously don't know what occurred during the phone conversation and it may have been a misunderstanding on both your parts rather than a unethical sales pitch.

You should be able to cancel and I would if I were you try to get your money back always remember if it sounds to good to be true it probably is

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: overcharged for movies and sports package

Hi nutfield,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting. I'm really sorry to hear you've been overcharged for movies and sports package.

I totally understand your frustration with this scenario as I've been through something similar with another company.

You can certainly cancel the subscription once the 30 days is up. So if you no longer want the sports and movies package I'd definitely call the team to get these removed.

I've also been to locate your account and can see you've already spoken to a manager regarding the complaint. I hope they've provided you with a lot of information about refunds etc.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team
0 Kudos