Menu
djfester
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

news

Why is it that itv news and BBC News is not my local news I'm in area 30 should be Look North

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: news

Area codes are just for billing purposes so could be anywhere. Where is your nearest town?

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
djfester
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I live in worksop but Sheffield 18 miles from me
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You should be getting Look North's Yorkshire service. What ones are you getting on channels 101 & 103?

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
djfester
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

At the moment 103 east Midlands 101 east midlands today

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I had a closer look at VM's network map, & from what I can see the Worksop area is likely hard wired to VM's Nottingham cable Headend. This would explain why you are getting the East Midlands region service that you are stuck with, as all the customers downstream of that headend receive the same channels & hence the same region.

There are some network areas where big region overlaps (caused by the government cable authorities hap-hazard network franchise plan) have been provided with additional region feeds. If these are available you will find them on channel 858 for BBC1 & 870/871 for ITV, If these are not available then the only option is to use a rooftop aerial with Freeview. 

0 Kudos
amarkr2000
Dialled in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

In some areas where there is an overlap between transmission areas there is an alternative bbc1 and itv available in the 860/870 range of the epg

Another alternative for bbc1 (if you have tivo) is to call up the bbc iplayer and watch bbc1 live and you can choose the correct region that way.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

amarkr2000 wrote:

In some areas where there is an overlap between transmission areas there is an alternative bbc1 and itv available in the 860/870 range of the epg

Another alternative for bbc1 (if you have tivo) is to call up the bbc iplayer and watch bbc1 live and you can choose the correct region that way.

Not sure you can do this on the TiVO iPlayer to watch live regional programmes. You cant with the PC or iOS versions, although you can watch them all within about an hour on the catch-up service.

0 Kudos
djfester
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes but if I knew I was going to have this much trouble with virgin I would stay with Sky have no trouble like this at all you need to get up to date
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

djfester wrote:
Yes but if I knew I was going to have this much trouble with virgin I would stay with Sky have no trouble like this at all you need to get up to date

Satellite by its nature covers the whole country from one point in space, so region distribution has no cost. Sky also do not own the satellites, they just rent space on them so have none of the costs.

VM would have to spend millions of pounds rebuilding the network to rectify this just for what amounts to 2 hours programming a day. As already mentioned, the government cable authority carved the country up into franchise areas which had no consideration for region boundaries. Cable companies that took these franchises had no option but to build their networks to this plan, so viewers using cable have been stuck with it ever since the 1990s & its never going to change

0 Kudos