Menu
squeakycheeker
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

need a new card for tv box.

We have a second tv box in our bedroom but when we plug it in it says card expired. I've spent literally hours on the phone to Virgin trying to order one but getting nowhere - any ideas how to get a fresh card?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: need a new card for tv box.

Good News! The card is still useable, but if you turn the power off to the box for any length of time, the periodic updates it has to receive to continue operating are missed, & it can no longer decode the channels you subscribe too. So you do not need a new one, you need the old one re-activated. The faults people on the phone should have picked this up & restored your channels in minutes. If you don't fancy phoning again, the Staff Forum team here can trigger the update providing you leave the box in a powered state (left in standby will do). They will hopefully answer this thread in a day or so.

In order to stop this happening again, make sure you power up the box overnight at least once a week.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi there squeakycheeker, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums, and say that I'm really sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your second TV box giving you a card expired issue. As nodrogd has said this is normally something we can resolve by sending you a few signals to the box in order to reactivate the card. 

I've run some tests this evening, and it appears as if your second box is currently powered off, could you please power this back on so I can send the relevant signals. Please let me know when it's back on. 

This error is normally caused by a box being powered off for a period of time, so as nodrogd advised, please ensure that the box is powered on over night at least once a week so that the box can receive the relevant signals to keep things up to date. 

Looking forward to hearing further from you. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
squeakycheeker
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi - unfortunately we seem to have mislaid the card out of the back of the box. Virgin customer service reckon an engineers visit costing fifty quid for this so will nee dot have a good hunt for it! Cheers Chris

0 Kudos