Menu
chrisdocker
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

improving online tv reception

It seems that in spite having high speed broadband (over and above the standard service) and a powerful new iMac with ethernet connection, I still get very poor TV service using VirginMedia LiveTV. The programme will judder and stutter (typically repeating a couple of seconds of programme before continuing and then doing it again), or stop altogether requiring a browser refresh. Quite impossible for watching a drama most times. Compared to BBC iPLayer, TVCatchUp, or even STV, the Virgin service continues to be poor. The only solution seems to be using an alternative service.

It is hard to say what causes it. Most probably I would guess it is excess interference by VirginMedia with the feed. Any suggestions to improve it?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: improving online tv reception

Hi chrisdocker

I'm really sorry to learn about the problems you've been experiencing with your TV service lately, I've been able to locate your account and run some tests on the set top box from our end for you.

I've not been able to fully connect to the box from our end at the moment, would you know if it was turned on at the time of this message? If not, would you be able to leave it powered on (standby is fine) so that I could run some tests?

Sorry again for the inconvenience this has caused, we're looking forward to putting it right.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
chrisdocker
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello Craig

I thought I was clear. I no longer use a separate TV or the set-top box. For the small amount of TV I use, I watch on an iMac, streaming TV by means of Virgin Broadband and an ethernet cable. I pay quite a lot of money for it (the faster broadband and the larger TV access), yet the streaming is usually inferior to other (free) streaming services.

Regards

C Docker

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi C Docker, 

Apologies, as this was posted in the TV board rather than TV Anywhere boards it looks as though Craig got a little confused. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having issues with judder and stutter. We are looking into this with an open and ongoing investigation. Any instances you come across this please fill out this survey here: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TV-on-the-go/TV-Anywhere-Buffering-Issues/td-p/2852182

All reports filed are investigated and we then perform fixes based on the information given Smiley Happy 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
chrisdocker
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've only just seen your reply, Kath, but thank you.

It is not an occasional problem or an isolated issue. It usually happens at least once in a one-hour program. Sometimes the whole page has to be refreshed and then of course one has missed a few crucial minutes.

It is now at the point where I am looking at options other than Virgin Media and looking at cancelling my TV account (broadband speeds are excellent; I don't really use the phone service more than the very occasional call from a land-line, and I I don't use a television any more. So I only am using the broadband for internet connectivity and despairing of even VirginMedia high speeds for the Virgin service to watch live TV.).

I watched the Oscars last night on NowTV, which gave a perfect, HD, uninterrupted feed for several hours. BBC iPlayer gives no problems for live TV. It is not a problem with my computer, so not worth spending time going through time-consuming 'troubleshooting' designed to show it is something I am doing wrong (unless it is with some hidden setting for VirginMedia). Either there is something radically wrong that can be fixed or there is something radically wrong that cannot be fixed. It is unfortunately not convenient for me to make calls during the Virgin Help office hours and I cannot find an email address to contact them. I would prefer it were fixed, but it is consistently so unreliable I feel it is more likely that I will cancel the service as it simply causes disappointment.

Kindest regards

ps If someone wants to post an answer or if Virgin want to email me to suggest a fix they are very welcome. (But please read my report first.)

0 Kudos