Menu
george41
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cable selection for component interface

I recently purchased a Virgin service bundle consisting of broadband and a starter level TV channels. Broadband works great but I am only getting audio on the TV. Problem is my TV is HDMI. The tech who installed the set up says I need to get an HDMI to SCART converter cable to make the system compatible between the Virgin cable box and the TV. No luck finding this cable in local stores. There are some online selections but it is a bit confusing as to which one to get since their are so many uses and devises for which these cables can apparently be used. Any recommendations as to a specific cable that would work? 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: cable selection for component interface

Which Virgin Media box do you have?

All current boxes are capable of HDMI connection.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

scart is analogue  & standard defintion only

HDMI is digital , full HD capable, and with digital copy protection. All HD TV is copy protected and must be transmitted digitally

http://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/home-theater/considering-hdtv-copy-protection-systems/

you cannot upgrade a scart signal to HDMI with just a cable!

there are converter devices what will downgrade a HDMI signal to a SD scart one, but the only reason to ever do that is ior a TV that has no HDMi inputs

it seem that your " engineer" was talking complete rubbish, unless you misunderstood him. call it in as a fault - no video on the TV HDMi input  ask for someone who is capable of connecting your Virgin equipment to your HDMi TV set !

it is possible ( if you never previously used it) that the TV's HDMi input , or you cable, is faulty, but the only way to test for that is to connect some other device,like a Blu Ray player or game console to that same port , with the same cable ,& see if it works

I don't know  if VM provide a HDMi cable nowadays, when they install a Tivo or V - box, or if you have to provide that. I'd expect an engineer to carry one anyway, or testing that his install is all good, even if he has to then take it way & tell you to go buy your own.

I hope you did not sign an "job well done" jobsheet if the previosu guy left you with no picture ?

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Which Virgin Media box do you have?

All current boxes are capable of HDMI connection.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

scart is analogue  & standard defintion only

HDMI is digital , full HD capable, and with digital copy protection. All HD TV is copy protected and must be transmitted digitally

http://www.dummies.com/consumer-electronics/home-theater/considering-hdtv-copy-protection-systems/

you cannot upgrade a scart signal to HDMI with just a cable!

there are converter devices what will downgrade a HDMI signal to a SD scart one, but the only reason to ever do that is ior a TV that has no HDMi inputs

it seem that your " engineer" was talking complete rubbish, unless you misunderstood him. call it in as a fault - no video on the TV HDMi input  ask for someone who is capable of connecting your Virgin equipment to your HDMi TV set !

it is possible ( if you never previously used it) that the TV's HDMi input , or you cable, is faulty, but the only way to test for that is to connect some other device,like a Blu Ray player or game console to that same port , with the same cable ,& see if it works

I don't know  if VM provide a HDMi cable nowadays, when they install a Tivo or V - box, or if you have to provide that. I'd expect an engineer to carry one anyway, or testing that his install is all good, even if he has to then take it way & tell you to go buy your own.

I hope you did not sign an "job well done" jobsheet if the previosu guy left you with no picture ?

0 Kudos
george41
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is very helpful information. Your answer confirms my own assumption that I will need to call it in and get someone to come out who is not itching to get out the door and on to the next job.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Which box do you have? Does it have an HDMI output?

If it does (which is almost certain) you likely dont need an engineer out.

0 Kudos