Menu
baffles
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

box keeps locking up

Hi, 

My mums virgin media box keeps locking up on a regular basis

it is not a tivo just the bog standard tv box.

it has been changed 3 times now and as recently as the past month, the only way to wake it up is to switch off power and restart as it won't wake from remote. we had a visit recently from an engineer as the new box would not recognise sim card. It has behaved for about 3 weeks and now is doing the same thing. It seems as though the problem is when being switched on first thing after being off for the night.

my mum is using the old type remote as she is 90 years old and has memory loss, she can control the box using this but not the new remote supplied.

any suggestions as i cannot believe the box may be faulty again already 

thanks

0 Kudos
eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: box keeps locking up

Hey baffles,

As much as I regret saying this, it could be the box your mum is using, is on its way out, and if my assumptions are correct, she is on a legacy package, which are soon being phased out, which will result in older boxes stopping working.

I understand the situation, but it may be the case, and possibly a much better and affordable thing to do, is to review your account, and look to upgrade to a TIVO as the older vhd /v+hd boxes are being phased out all together.

I know this may not be an ideal situation for your mum, but I have a very sneaking suspicion that this could be contributing to the cause.

If you wanted to speak with the customer relations team to discuss your options, you can contact them on 0800 052 8310 and they will look at options around having a tivo with a more current package, which may resolve all of the issues your mum is having.

Let us know how you get on.
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos
baffles
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that info dan, I certainly will ring up and see if there is anything that can be done.

we are trying to keep everything simple and to what my mum is used to doing, it may be that we might have to come off virgin and try freeview , as my sister has a TiVo and thinks Mam might struggle with it.

but once again I thank you and will let you know the outcome .👍

eggfriedcheese
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes, She may struggle with TiVo, however here's a thought for you. Any changes of service has a 14 day right to cancel, so as a suggestion, give it a couple of weeks with the new TiVo, and if she doesn't get on with it, you could look at reverting the package change, and cancelling with 30 days notice.

The only downside, is that there would be a one off activation charged for the equipment at £14.99 and if you reverted, that would then be non-refundable, so keep that in mind.
Dan
Views expressed are solely my own, and do not reflect on Virgin Media directly
If however you feel that my answer is helpful or informative, please click the kudos button below!
0 Kudos