Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

any simple and legal way to drive a 2nd TV?

we aave tivo on main TV in lounge

I now have a 22nd smart TVwhich I am using as a monitor for PC & consoles.

it seems a shame not to be able to use it also as a TV but I have no roof aeriel extension nearby ( and am already running 3 freeview aerial points from  one room aerial - addiing a 4th could degrade/break HD ! ) .

a 2nd tivo box is overkill as I don't need to record in 2 locations, I just want the occasional live HD TV feed.

& I already have LAN throughout the house. I could even live with having to see same channel on both TVs even.

in ye olde days of telewest an RFcable & splitter would do the job- but things have moved on

is there anything which an be done with HDMi over ethernet , or some such ?

a 10 metre HDMi cable trailed up the stairs would work if the wife was out but will not be acceptable as a permanent arrangement Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: any simple and legal way to drive a 2nd TV?

Assuming that Virgin have still not climbed out of the dark ages if the Ethernet connection at the back of the box was functional you could have used TP link plugs but I am guessing that is still not an option. So other than multi room option I think you are beat
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

would hdmi over ethernet work - i.e. from the  tivo's hdmi out I split or just convert to ethernet & send it over my wired lan (via powerline) , then convert back from ethernet to hdmi in 2nd tv room & plug  into 2nd tv.  I would need a couple of adaptors and maybe a hdmi switch - but reluctant to buy the gear if someone has already tried & failed

I can change tivo channels remotely with the tv anywhere app.

is that technically feasible?

EDIT probably not - reading amazon reviews of the needed kit -: reviews say that it does not work over powerline - needs 2 x physical shielded ethernet cables to carry the signal. SO one l10m HDmi cable is probably better, and look for  a way to hide most of the cable run

0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Power line only works on it own
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I already have power line 500av pair for upstairs to downstairs.

. It transmits ethernet data, so I hoped it might handle the middle stage of hdmi over Ethernet, with converters at each end 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Dont forget. VM offer a non recording VHD box for around half the price of an additional TiVO. A long HDMI would be an option, but anything else connected to HDMI must be HDCP compliant, & the TiVO is known to be a fussy piece of kit concerning what its connected too. You also could use an RF modulator connected to the Scart socket.

Also you say you are using the TV as a PC monitor, so why not use TV Anywhere as another alternative.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tv anywhere cannot deliver HD, most of the time it cannot deliver SD without buffering. And there is no smart tv app.

can tivo output to both scart and hdmi simultaneously, I thought you had to choose just one. Scart would not be HD.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

Tv anywhere cannot deliver HD, most of the time it cannot deliver SD without buffering. And there is no smart tv app.

can tivo output to both scart and hdmi simultaneously, I thought you had to choose just one. Scart would not be HD.

Yes. But dont forget Scart is analogue & therefore also SD, & a downscaled HD broadcast on a Scart connection will probably look worse than Tv Anywhere.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

true that,

I'd to think I have moved on from all things scart,

unless the commodore amiga ever comes down from the attic for a nostalgia trip Smiley Happy

It's disappointing that "rent-a-2nd-box" is the only really practical way forward.

there's no "buy an old cheap 2nd box" option even

I would not use the TV,a s a TV enough to justify another rental, plus there's the hassle of more thru-the-wall cables for VM to have to install.

I thought of casting the picture from my fire tablet with TV anywhere but that is blocked by the app, and the 2 devices max limit for TV anywhere is most restrictive. I don't really get why it cannot be allowed on any device on the same router /  IP address ? i.e. authorise the superhub and count that as 1 device, not the individual devices, but then I suppose tv anywhere means it can work away from home, , maybe maybe; wi-fi only...

0 Kudos