Menu
mistapuk1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wrong TV region for news bulletin (HD)

Hello,

I phoned the 150 number to sort out our longstanding problem. I got absolutely nowhere and wasted 30 minutes of my life. The guy didn't understand the problem at all and kept me waiting for ages!

The problem is that when watching ITV 1 HD national news, when the local news bulletin comes on either in the middle of the programme or the end of the programme we get either Granada or Calendar which is nowhere near us, it's miles away! We should be getting Tyne Tees.

We have to switch to SD (103) to watch it and then back again. It's really annoying, especially as we don't want to watch SD on a large TV when HD should be available. (Assuming so as Granada and Calendar local news buttetins are HD)

So is there anyway to switch TV region please?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong TV region for news bulletin (HD)

Not all ITV regional news broadcasts are in HD, if you're getting the correct SD version the local news isn't being broadcast in HD

0 Kudos
mistapuk1
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

But wouldn't I just get the SD version of Tyne Tees local bulletin on the HD channel?

I mean we get Calendar or Granada depending on which way the wind blows. I don't understand that.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

http://www.itv.com/viewerservices

ITV is making changes to bring more relevant regional content to some high definition (HD) viewers in the ITV Yorkshire, ITV Anglia and ITV Tyne Tees regions.

From 31 March 2016, additional regional services will be available in HD for viewers watching via satellite in the above areas.

<snip>

Freeview HD and Virgin Media HD viewers in the above regions are not affected by the changes being made and should continue to view their regional news and programmes on the standard definition service.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
mistapuk1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ah...

So would I be right in thinking that because ITV Tyne Tees isn't available in HD for Virgin Media customers, it just switches to the next geographical region, which for us keeps switching between Calendar and Granada?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yep. All to do with the way services are fed from the broadcaster. These additional HD services do not have the switching capability installed for DTT or Cable platforms at present. Also with the Anglia region, there is a West & East sub-region. Only the East region is currently HD capable.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
mistapuk1
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I see, so maybe nothing can be done at the moment.

It's disappointing, and annoying having to switch channels just for a local news bulletin. I really hope this gets looked at and invested into in the near future.

0 Kudos