Menu
mikemuirhead
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Worst TV platform ever!!!! box is noisy and slow to load

Virgin TV is total crap!!

The box is noisy and slow to load, the time it takes to move between functions is too long. On Demand is also rubbish compared to Sky. Just try recording CNNs coverage of the US election. I have tried to record the overnight broadcasts but, because this coverage isn't stated in the planner and takes place when other programs are, the recording doesn't take place. Infuriating  Navigating the platform is just as annoying, it's like the architects of the system were a bunch of monkeys But the single most annoying thing is that I am 1 month into an 18 month contract, and I hate the product I have overpaid for.

Tags (1)

Helpful Answers
mikemuirhead
Tuning in
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Worst TV platform ever!!!! box is noisy and slow to load

No noticeable performance improvements in terms of speed!!

No noticeable improvements in content!!!

Series Link+ upgrade irrelevant if you don't have netflix. If I series link an HD programme, then I want HD recordings!!!!

However, the new look On demand menu using pictures is a welcome small step forward.

When are you going to invest in the required infrastructure to speed up your wider network? Slow loading pages are infuriating!!!
0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Worst TV platform ever!!!!

Hi mikenuirhead,

Welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that you're not the biggest fan of TiVo® right now.  I'd like to help check some things out that may be causing some of the issues you've mentioned.  

Noisy: What kind of noise is this?  Can it be heard over normal viewing volumes?

Slowness: Is this just when navigating the menu system, or does this affect changing channels, using Apps?

On Demand: What kind of issues are you having with On Demand?  Is it down to content available, errors or missing content?

I'd like to check this further to see what we can do to improve things for you.  I have taken an initial look at your box remotely and signal/power level wise all looks fine from here.  Once I know more I can check for other issues as well.

Keep me posted, I'm here to help.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
mikemuirhead
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The noise is the clunking hard drive sound you get from 20 year old pc towers.
The entire platform is slow, too much blank screen, a break in dialogue. The suggestions are annoyingly wrong and often interfere with booked recordings. I could go on, but it won't change the fact that Vigin is crap. On demand selection is totally inadequate, for the money you extort etc......
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi mikemuirhead,

Thanks for your reply.

In relation to the noisy TiVo® that's something we can do more about.  I would like to arrange for an engineer to call round and check the box for you.  I will send you a private message regarding this shortly to arrange an appointment.  (Look for the envelope icon above).

I'm sorry that the On Demand content isn't what you expected.  With the menu system being running slowly I thought I would pop our online  On Demand Guide here so you can quickly find what you are looking for.  I realise it's not the ideal solution, but thought it may be an alternative to save you time navigating until we can speed things up.

I have looked at the network and currently there is some high demand on the network that will be slowing things down with menu navigation, Apps buffering/slow to load etc.  It's something that is raised to our network engineers and are already working to resolve this for you.  

Due to the work required to alleviate the high demand issues it may take some time to resolve.  We're due an update byt he 21st April, if things haven't improved by then, please don't hesitate to get back in touch to request an update.  The reference number for this is: F004242440.

We're keen to help make things better, I will send you a private message now regarding the engineer appointment.  

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
japitts
Well-informed
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Suggestions will never interfere with planned recordings and will always be dropped automatically if they cause problems. They'll also improve over time - however you can switch them off completely in the Tivo settings if you'd prefer.

0 Kudos
mikemuirhead
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Virgin customer service department: 10/10 !!

Virgin Tivo: 0/10.

Had to make lots of complaints over recent weeks. Every member of the customer care team I interacted with was courteous and professional, even though they were unable to correct any of my issues, due entirely to the fact that TIVO IS RUBBISH!!!. Not enough capacity on the wider network means a slow, clunky, non-user friendly, content shy TV platform; made worse by a lengthy and expensive 18 month contract.

Come back Sky, all is forgiven.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I completely understand your sentiments having come from a more responsive platform to TiVo.

I have come to accept TiVo's slowness as I find the function of TiVo great for my use of TV.

All I can say is that there are significant improvements in the performance of the core TiVo functions coming that are worth-while waiting for.

The performance of app loading, I don't think, will improve but once loaded they perform well.

mikemuirhead
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry mate, but we're on different planets when it comes to What I am prepared to accept of a TV platform.
Nowhere in the contract entered into, does it say "be prepared to accept a substandard service at premium rates". If, as you say, I have to wait for "improvements", then surely I should expect adequate compensation, by way of rebate on bills, at least until the company lives up to it's service level responsibilities. With regard to the way you use your TV, don't patronise me. If it doesn't work for me, then I don't want it.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I, too, am sorry that you think my reply was patronising and have chosen to respond in such an aggressive way.

I started by sympathising with you about the slowness of TiVo.

I continued by saying that the platform is OK for me, no criticism of your opinion.

I provided you with some information in a way which doesn't breach an NDA I have concerning TiVo.

No-one forced you to take TiVo. I accept you are angry that it doesn't suit your requirements but there is plenty of information about TiVo that you could have researched before you contracted.

Mr_K
Well-informed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

All I can say is that there are significant improvements in the performance of the core TiVo functions coming that are worth-while waiting for.

So what are these significant improvements and when are they coming ?  Have to admit I've got used to Tivo's poor performance, it's  when you see Sky boxes in action or VMs own cheaper VHD box that you realise how painfully slow Tivo is.