Menu
georgeb25354
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Withdrawal of V+ Box

IMG_2772.JPGI get messages on TV saying that the V+ Box is going to be withdrawn. This is a problem as we have the V+ box in the cellar, cable to the kitchen with the brown aerial coax cable and the cable is run behind kitchen units which have recently been fitted i.e. not easily replaceable. The new Tivo box doesn't have an old "aerial" coax connector.

I contacted the helpline and was told categorically that there is no intention to withdraw support for the V+ Box - which I accepted at face value until message again appeared on the TV screen this morning stating that the V+ Box is to be withdrawn and replaced.

Does anyone know the real situation, please (and what can be done about the aerial cable?)?

Thanks, George.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Withdrawal of V+ Box

Your V+ is one of the two types of the box - the one which cannot cope with the way certain channels will be broadcast in the future.

The replacement TiVo does not have an RF out capability but does have a SCART connection which can run concurrently with its HDMI connection.

You can create an RF signal by connecting a SCART-to-RF converter to the SCART output of TiVo.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, that should do the job.

The TiVo can seem a bit slow at times but has more function than the V+.

In particular, TiVo can record simultaneously on all three tuners and re-schedule a program if it clashes with others recording at the same time.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your V+ is one of the two types of the box - the one which cannot cope with the way certain channels will be broadcast in the future.

The replacement TiVo does not have an RF out capability but does have a SCART connection which can run concurrently with its HDMI connection.

You can create an RF signal by connecting a SCART-to-RF converter to the SCART output of TiVo.

georgeb25354
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Ernie.

Is it one of these I need or something different?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scart-RF-Aerial-Modulator-Converter/dp/B007FT8OAM

Rgds,

George.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, that should do the job.

The TiVo can seem a bit slow at times but has more function than the V+.

In particular, TiVo can record simultaneously on all three tuners and re-schedule a program if it clashes with others recording at the same time.

0 Kudos
georgeb25354
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for your help, Ernie.

I have an easier mind now!

G.

0 Kudos
pauls42
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My V+ box stopped working last week (Thursday night) - and having read this information it looks like VM were switching off parts of the V+ at the end of March.

Of course I never knew any of this when I reported the fault with my box last Friday so an engineer is appearing tomorrow to fix the problem. Amazingly restarting it had no affect.

Hopefully he will bring a replacement box (tivo) - if not, then it will be another wasted visit by a virginmedia engineer.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to tell the VM service desk that V+ boxes are being turned off.

And it would have been nice, but obviously merely optional, if I had known this as well so could have ordered a TIVO in advance.

0 Kudos
georgeb25354
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'd be interested to hear what the engineer says tomorrow.

G.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you have a Scientific Atlanta V+, you are eligible for a free upgrade to TiVo, else you will get another V+.

0 Kudos