Menu
Smeechub
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why remove tv film date and actors info?!!

Why have Virgin TV decided to remove a film's release date and starring actors from the tv guide? I like to see this info!!!

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Why remove tv film date and actors info?!!

might be due to the limited memory on some of the devices. the more channels they release the more memory the EPG takes up

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

might be due to the limited memory on some of the devices. the more channels they release the more memory the EPG takes up

0 Kudos
Smeechub
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that. Well lets hope they can increase the memory, so that at least one of their customers is happy!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

the memory can not be increased without a new device. the new box has more memory then the old ones. to make the most of the network the old boxes have to take a hit. Bad news sorry.

0 Kudos
Smeechub
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Well, I'm still not happy about that. As a paying customer, I'd still like to see the date the film was released at least. As a humble non-technical everyday man in the street, I don't even know 'devices' you're talking about! Can you simplify your answer please? All I want to see is the date a film was made included in the film's information -like it used to be up to two (2) weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The devices referred to are your TV boxes, in this case, V+HD, and they are old! They have a finite amount of memory in it to store the EPG with the data you're referring to, and this was fixed over a decade a go when they were first designed. At that point, Telewest had a lot fewer channels available to broadcast.

Very simplistically, think of the EPG as a table that can store [for example] 210 entries.
7 days, 1 entry per day for each of 30 channels (7x30 = 210)

As the table can't be made any bigger when new channels come along, (Virgin can't just physically add more memory to the boxes), the only thing they can do is reduce the number of days the table holds entries for.

6 days, 1 entry per day for each of 35 channels (6x35 = 210)
5 days, 1 entry per day for each of 42 channels (5x42 = 210)

The values are rather different in real life, but that's why the number of days is reducing, and for V+HD is now down to 26hrs?

It's quite likely that the reduction in available programme info is just one more sticking plaster to keep boxes alive which customers should have given up on years ago.

As Virgin haven't installed these boxes for over 6 years, and they haven't been made for even longer, the only way out of this is to upgrade the box to a TiVo, with a 2 week EPG.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Smeechub
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks PrinterElf and apcyberax for your very helpful answers. I can now see what you mean. It doesn't look like there's a way round it then until there's a massive update of equipment. Instead, I shall have to get used to looking up the details of films on the 'net!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

get a amazon echo and you can ask alexa Smiley Happy
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you still have a V+HD box, give Retentions a ring - you could well be on an old, overpriced contract.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Smeechub
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'll give it a try. Thanks, PrinterElf! Happy New Year!😃
0 Kudos