Menu
regentroad5
Dialled in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why no subtitles in on demand programmes?

I'm sure this question has been asked before but worth repeating.

I rarely watch on demand programmes and this is probably the main reason why.

0 Kudos
G-eri
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why no subtitles in on demand programmes?

Yes me too. This is why I try to record anything I really want to watch as then you can get subtitles. Very odd they aren't available with Catch Up and On Demand. I'd have thought it would fall foul of disability legislation. 

0 Kudos
regentroad5
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps the moderators on this forum will address this enquiry. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi regentroad5,

Thanks for coming by Smiley Happy

I just wanted to pop by and point you to this article here: Accessibility on TiVo® in case it maybe useful for you.

Essentially subtitling details comes from the content provider, as long as they provide us with these details we will always show subtitles along with that programme or film.

If the guide shows that subtitles are supported but aren't working then we can look into that as a fault and get it fixed if that's the case. 

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to ask.

Collette Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I get annoyed by cop-outs which basically the guide pointed to is.

VM are basically saying "content providers problem, nothing we can do"

Which is annoying but unfortunately in this case, accurate. There is currently a whole legal argument around the provision of subtitles/lyrics with content providers insisting that the content of a subtitle file is subject to copyright restriction. So a 3rd party that provides subtitles separately for display over a legitimate broadcast (perfectly do-able) , is in breach of copyright law.

Several fan sites that provide subtitles for broadcast media that lack it (or translations in some cases) have been subject to DMCA take-downs. So VM can not exactly go and source subtitles for content that does not have it.

Whilst I support 100% a content providers right to earn a living from their output, that all seems a little odd. Surely providing subtitles/translations/lyrics (separately to the content that has to be purchased legitimately) BROADENS  the target market? But I digress. Until the law catches up with technology,  content provided without subtitles will remain so.

Maybe its time the broadcasters (who ultimately provide the conduit to consumers for content providers)  used a bit of their inherent leverage- on the subject of subtitles, on the issue of PVR to PVR/device streaming and the time limited availability of on demand programs?

After all, its fairly easy to circumvent these issues with an (albeit illegal) download....

The war on "piracy" will never be won until the content providers give consumers what they want and are happy to pay for.

0 Kudos