Menu
ttaylor536
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why does my Amazon Prime keep freezing and switching my my tv off since Virgin Media was installed?

Since having Virgin Media and Broadband installed in July, I have ongoing issues when watching Netflix through my tv (not through my Tivo box) and when watching Amazon Prime.  Randomly, the screen will freeze and my tv (a Samsung internet tv) will switch itself off.  This may not happen for days or, it may happen 3 times in an hour. It is really frustrating! Any solutions?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my Amazon Prime keep freezing and switching my my tv off since Virgin Media was inst...

Hi ttaylor536

Welcome to the Virgin Media Community, I'm so sorry to hear about the problems you're experiencing with your TV service at the moment. 

I've not been able to locate your account using your forum details unfortunately, so I can take a closer look at this from our end, would you be able to respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information? 

You can view the message by clicking the red envelope on the top left of  this page. 

We'll talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ttaylor536
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my Amazon Prime keep freezing and switching my my tv off since Virgin Media was installed?

Hi Craig,

Sure my account is [MOD EDIT] and I have broadband, phone and tv package. It would all be brilliant if I could watch Amazon and Netflix through my to without them crashing.

Thanks
Tara

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal and private information. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts on the forum. To send a Private Message (PM) please click the letter icon to the top right of your screen. You can review the Forum Guidelines on this here. Thanks] 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my Amazon Prime keep freezing and switching my my tv off since Virgin Media was installed?

please don't post your account number on a public forum

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does my Amazon Prime keep freezing and switching my my tv off since Virgin Media was inst...

Hi Tara

Thanks for this information, I've been able to run some tests on the set top box from our end for you. 

We're not detecting any issues with the TiVo at the moment, there are also no reported problems in your local area. 

How are you accessing the applications? As Netflix is accessible through our TiVo service but Amazon Prime isn't. Are you using the applications built into the TV or another device?

We'll speak soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ingolangel
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am having exactly the same problems with Amazon Prime and Netflix.  Also, my Samsung tv turns itself off after freezing.  I went into my local Virgin Media shop (Preston) to ask for advice/help and to say they were "less than helpful" is an understatement!!! I certainly won't be doing that again!

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ingolangel wrote:

I am having exactly the same problems with Amazon Prime and Netflix.  Also, my Samsung tv turns itself off after freezing.  I went into my local Virgin Media shop (Preston) to ask for advice/help and to say they were "less than helpful" is an understatement!!! I certainly won't be doing that again!

Are you using the Samsung TV apps? If so, how old is your TV? If not, how are you watching Prime/Netflix? A fire stick? Some of the "older" (say 2013, yes that old!) models have issues with the streaming apps, so much so that newer apps like Now TV only work on post 2015 models. The solution may be to get a Roku or Fire stick and watch Netflix and Prime via that (which is what I am doing). I suspect the virgin broadband is an unlikely cause which explains why the shop assistants were "less than helpful".
0 Kudos
ingolangel
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello arrgee 1991, thank you for replying.  Yes, I am using Prime/Netflix through my Samsung TV apps and my tv is now 4 years old so your suggestion makes sense.  I will purchase a fire stick and keep everything crossed that this will solve my problems.  Once again, thank you, your advice is much appreciated!

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

ingolangel wrote:

I will purchase a fire stick and keep everything crossed that this will solve my problems.  Once again, thank you, your advice is much appreciated!

One little piece of advice with Fire sticks is to use the supplied USB charger with it rather than the TV USB.  Sometimes the USBs on the TVs aren't powerful enough and the fire stick restarts continually. 

0 Kudos
ingolangel
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Once again, thank you! I have ordered my Fire stick so I will ensure I follow your advice. You are a star!!!
0 Kudos