Menu
Ronata28
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why does TiVo box take ages to start up

I had a new TiVo box three weeks ago, and now it has started taking ages (about 15 mins) to start up each morning. This is not acceptable. What should I do.

Also the small mini guide never seams to be at the core t time ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why does TiVo box take ages to start up

Are you switching it off at night? Because the TiVo should be left on all the time

0 Kudos
Ronata28
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

We are switching off  with the remote therefore putting it into standby. Should we be leaving it on all the time ? I though it would go into standby mode anyway after 2nrs ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

From standby it should take about 20 seconds to wake up, if it's taking much longer you need an engineer to take a look at the box

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ronata28

Sorry to hear about this problem, as Dannylau has mentioned, it shouldn't be taking as long as 15 minutes to boot up from standby so I've been able to locate your account to run some tests for you.

At the moment we're seeing no issues being detected from our end, I can see the set top box has been on for a little while if you're able to reboot it for me? If it's still the same the morning after the reboot, let me know and I'll take another look to see what's happening Man Happy

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Ronata28
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Craig_D

thanks for reply. Since posting I have spoken to VM support team. They said, as you did, they could see nothing wrong from their end, and suggested that we did not turn off the TiVo box at night, only the TV,, and let TiVo go into standby by itself after two hours. This seams to work O.K but for two hours I am consuming power unnecessarily. Am I worrying for nothing, and is leaving the TiVo to sort itself out really O.K ?

many thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ronata28,

Thanks for coming back and keeping us in the loop with this. 

The TiVo® isn't designed to be switched off every night so by doing this, it's possible causing the issues you are seeing. 

By leaving it on and going into Standby, yes it does mean you are using power however it is very very minimal. It allows the TiVo® to update when needed so when waking it'll only take a few seconds. 

After a week or so of leaving it turn it off and start it back up. Let us know if this improves things Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos