Menu
julia_smith
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Why are some of the Freeview channels NOT available on virgin cable TV if they are FREE?

Why are some of the channel available on freeview not available on virgin media cable TV... after all they are FREE. 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are some of the Freeview channels NOT available on virgin cable TV if they are FREE?

The channels are not free.

Each service provider has a 'free' service.

Freeview is the terrestrial free service;

Freesat is the satellite free service;

TV M is the cable free service.

All have their own list of available channels. There is no requirement for them all to have the same list.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are some of the Freeview channels NOT available on virgin cable TV if they are FREE?

julia_smith wrote:

Why are some of the channel available on freeview not available on virgin media cable TV... after all they are FREE

Not to the broadcaster they are not. They have to pay out for every platform they join. Also with being a closed platform, there may also be additional costs to VM.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

julia_smith
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It just seems odd that if i had a proper ariel i would be able to access the freeview channels... but can't access them through the cable TV.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

julia_smith wrote:
It just seems odd that if i had a proper ariel i would be able to access the freeview channels... but can't access them through the cable TV.

Not odd at all. They are separate, competing platforms. If you were in an area with poor Freeview reception, you would probably opt for Freesat, the well advertised satellite equivelant. Most people think Freesat incluldes all the Freeview channels, but then find there are several missing.

https://ukfree.tv/channels/compare_tv/Freeview/Freesat

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile