Menu
praxis
Superfast
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why are existing customers not given the Special offers

I have been a long time customer of Virgin Media @ the moment I have Phone / BB / Basic Tv pack for which I am charged £37.00 per month. I was looking at reviewing my Tv choice so I signed in to see what my special offers options could be. To my horror I find if i want to go to say the Big Kahuna package it will cost me £88.38 for first 6 months then £98.38 ongoing. But if I go to a web site called Broadband choices + if I were a new customer they can offer Big Kahuna for £42.99 for 6 month and ongoing from £68.99 **bleep** a great way to treat your long term customer (not)

http://store.virginmedia.com/big-bundles.html

Needless to say my option of reviewing my Tv choice will now be put very much on hold 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are existing customers not given the Special offers

Existing customers do NOT and have never got the same deals as new customers. The enticements for new customers are there to attract new business. All the media companies do it as well as your insurance company and countless other businesses.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
praxis
Superfast
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Looks like it might be time to move on and become a new customer somewhere else
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I shouldn't be surprised if you did. But this is always an individual personal decision.

Remember that you will have some management to do as, for example, you will lose all VM e-mail service within 90 days of leaving and all your e-mails unless you move them off to safe keeping. You will also have to port your existing phone number to your new provider. Not difficult but care needed not to cancel your VM phone service before your new one operates.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

TBH mate it,s not so much the moving that brothers for one I don't use virgin e/mail and two our house phone is more of an ornament than a useful object I just find it hard to believe that there can be such a large difference in package price. And I do get the new customers policy but existing customers are the ones who have staid loyal over the years. I know one guy who jumps back and forward at the end of his contract term
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The world is increasingly more like your friend than it is like you!

Existing customer inertia is taken for granted by all these companies - especially power suppliers and banks. It is a powerful force.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
praxis
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

While I do agree with what you say my main reason for highlighting this is the difference in the price for new/existing customers its the best part of £30 per month not exactly pocket change. What I would really like to see is a VM rep come on and try and justify the price difference. But as I have noticed over the years when confronted with a serious issue they all seem to go mission g :/
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don't really want to encourage a long debate on this issue which has been discussed endlessly on this and other Forums.

All of the contrary arguments have an inherent validity but for one thing. Businesses know but don't agree.

Their method is the one they think maximises growth, profit,  revenue and new customers. So that's what they do.

It is up to consumers to be canny in their response. I changed my bank account after 45 years. Not a word from my original bank to ask why I was going or to say thanks for a lifetime of loyalty. Didn't worry me.  Just something to remark on.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thing I find rather funny is that in recent months Virgin brought a case against Sky for paying outrageous sums to cover the English Premier League. That in turn were going to increase subscription costs but as you say maybe we long term customers are subsidising new arrivals
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

No maybe about it - we are. And VM set their prices to recover their costs (fixed, marginal and notional - like depreciation) and make the desired return on capital employed (profit). How they split the result between categories of customers you can see for yourself.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos