Menu
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Why are cable TV boxes big eyesores?

V+ box was enormous and the tivo/VHD boxes aren't that small either, and looking at the new box it looks big and chunky as well.  So despite having a sleek TV on my wall, I still need to dangle a cable down to a black box to watch it.

At the very least, can't they have a remote that allows the box to be hidden away rather than having to be in view just to change the channel.  Infrared is so 20th Century.

If Google, Roku and Amazon can produce a little discrete stick for TV without infrared remotes, why can't Virgin?    

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why are cable TV boxes big eyesores?

Thanks for your post arrgee1991,

Sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied by this. Smiley Sad

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are always looking for new ways to improve our service.

Let me know if there is anything more I can assist with.

Thanks again,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Of course, there is already a superb way of controlling a hidden TiVo and, in addition, it avoids the current slow operation of the TiVo.

It's called the TV Anywhere app, although you do need the TiVo connected to your Superhub.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

arrgee1991 wrote:

V+ box was enormous and the tivo/VHD boxes aren't that small either, and looking at the new box it looks big and chunky as well.  So despite having a sleek TV on my wall, I still need to dangle a cable down to a black box to watch it.

At the very least, can't they have a remote that allows the box to be hidden away rather than having to be in view just to change the channel.  Infrared is so 20th Century.

If Google, Roku and Amazon can produce a little discrete stick for TV without infrared remotes, why can't Virgin?    

Because those devices don't have a dose of tuners, a HD, a stripped down linux box and passive cooling sufficient to run that lot under load under the hood.

Most people who are into minimalist installations have an opinion on whether IR or RF remote is better. I prefer RF myself, but you cant argue against the fact that most all in one remotes are IR only.

Ive a natural wood low level media "stand" with sod all space between the shelves, which necessitated me getting rid of the HTPC- but TiVo slots in nicely. So its not an eyesore in our house. But I suppose its personal taste. I certainly wouldn't want one on full display, tucked in a shelf in a stand is a good place for it, so I suppose from that POV you're 100% right.

Unfortunately the upcoming V6 (new STB) from VM isnt much less fugly than TiVo. They should have re-badged the TiVo BOLT for aesthetics. But the bill increase to cover it would have been even more scary than the current one....

arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Of course, there is already a superb way of controlling a hidden TiVo and, in addition, it avoids the current slow operation of the TiVo.

It's called the TV Anywhere app, although you do need the TiVo connected to your Superhub.

How does it avoid the slow operation?  

I have TV anywhere apps on kindle fire, mobile and iPad. and the TiVo hooked up to the superhub, and have used the remote, but I haven't got the devices to be remote controls.  

Out of interest would a Tivo work efficiently if stood on its size like a Playstation?  

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Because those devices don't have a dose of tuners, a HD, a stripped down linux box and passive cooling sufficient to run that lot under load under the hood.

Unfortunately the upcoming V6 (new STB) from VM isnt much less fugly than TiVo. They should have re-badged the TiVo BOLT for aesthetics. But the bill increase to cover it would have been even more scary than the current one....

I would guess that the hard disk is the biggest issue, but laptops can pretty slim and small these days (less than £200 for a laptop with a 500GB HDD and a 10" screen) .  I don't know the details of the TiVo, but I wouldn't expect it has to be particularly large.

Just had a look at the TiVo Bolt with the external HDD.  That looks really good especially if allied to the TiVo minis.  Now they would be easy to hide away. And surely a better solution than TiVos in every room.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Are you telling us that the reason for the recent price increase is to fund the V6?  Presumably then we will not be paying for an update?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Are you telling us that the reason for the recent price increase is to fund the V6?  Presumably then we will not be paying for an update?

I thought the price change was to pay for Formula 1.    I doubt anyone will have their TiVos exchanged for the new boxes gratis.  I suspect it will be at least £100 up front (as per the 1TB additional Tivo) plus an extra £5/month.  

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I just thought it was a curious choice of words, from someone whom I suspect already has access to a V6.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

Kippies wrote:

No I'm saying that the new box will increase VM's cost base (as will acquiring F1,expanding the network and buying arquiva ) so that's why they have bunged another price rise on.

And  I don't have access to a V6. To put it bluntly would have no use for one if I did, my opposition to expanding the cost base to get 4K delivery when there's little to no content is a matter of record. But SKY have done it so VM must follow instead of actually gauging the market and acting appropriately. Its actually fairly difficult to source TRUE 1080P content never mind 4K, a standard that hasn't even been finalised yet.

0 Kudos