Menu
Ian798
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When is Game of Thrones season 6 on Virgin?

Hi when and where is Game of Thrones season 6 on Virgin. Just been searching and can't find it...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: When is Game of Thrones season 6 on Virgin?

You won't find it. Sky don't allow any other supplier to have Sky Atlantic.

0 Kudos
Ian798
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Agh thanks - so much for big Cahuna... I guess it's back to sky for then it's the only programme the adults watch
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ian798 wrote:
Agh thanks - so much for big Cahuna... I guess it's back to sky for then it's the only programme the adults watch

I have a NOW TV box and watch Game of Thrones in a binge.  Cost £7 for a month (or £10 for 3 months with a pass from eBay), though they frequently have offers so it can be just £2/month or free.  If you can wait until the series is within a fortnight of being completely transmitted, you could watch all six seasons on the 14 day trial Smiley LOL

Does seem amazing that Sky Atlantic and ITV Encore have not appeared on Virgin after all this time. Over five years since Sky Atlantic launched.

0 Kudos
barrylowry
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

arrgee1991 wrote:

Ian798 wrote:

I have a NOW TV box and watch Game of Thrones in a binge.  Cost £7 for a month (or £10 for 3 months with a pass from eBay), though they frequently have offers so it can be just £2/month or free.  If you can wait until the series is within a fortnight of being completely transmitted, you could watch all six seasons on the 14 day trial Smiley LOL

Does seem amazing that Sky Atlantic and ITV Encore have not appeared on Virgin after all this time. Over five years since Sky Atlantic launched.

This is one thing you cant blame Virgin for; Sky will not  release them to anyone  but NOW TV (which sky own), so if you want Atlantic or Encore on Virgin, don't waste your effort here, email a complaint to ofcom about the refusal of Sky to sell Atlantic to other providers. You could also email John Whittingdale, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport to complain but since he is a Murdoch minnion It is doubtful he will do anything about it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ITV Encore's exclusivity deal with Sky (who helped with its launch costs) ends this year, so a deal to show the channel is possible. Sky Atlantic on the other hand is owned by Sky, who can sell to whom they wish. Exclusive content drives competition between the platforms, so in the government's eyes this is a good thing & not a practice OFCOM are likely to intervene in.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
chiefdave
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Sky Atlantic on the other hand is owned by Sky, who can sell to whom they wish. Exclusive content drives competition between the platforms, so in the government's eyes this is a good thing & not a practice OFCOM are likely to intervene in.

How do they get away with that from a anti-competitive standpoint? We've seen action taken over things like football.

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

chiefdave wrote:

nodrogd wrote:

Sky Atlantic on the other hand is owned by Sky, who can sell to whom they wish. Exclusive content drives competition between the platforms, so in the government's eyes this is a good thing & not a practice OFCOM are likely to intervene in.

How do they get away with that from a anti-competitive standpoint? We've seen action taken over things like football.

I guess the same way that Netflix do with House of Cards and Breaking Bad.  Not sure that programming of that nature has to be shared.  There are numerous exclusive movies and shows that are available on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Sky would argue that the content is or will be generally available (either immediately via Now TV or delayed until the run ends via DVD/iTunes/Amazon Prime/Google Play etc.). And unlike sport, TV shows and movies are less time critical, as long as you don't read the spoilers on the internet.  Sky would probably also argue that there are 100s of channels available via satellite that aren't on cable, so why should Sky Atlantic be forced onto cable.

TV is at an interesting juncture right now where channels without live content are about to be superseded by on demand services.   Wouldn't surprise me if HBO went the whole hog and had their own exclusive portal before too long. Like Sky Sports Extra and the red button, Sky will eventually sell Sky Atlantic to Virgin when they have their next exclusive piece of functionality/channel.

0 Kudos