Menu
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

What's happening with V+ service?

Hi all, I've managed to downgrade from a TiVo box back to a Samsung V+HD for the remainder of my contract because of all the problems I've had with the TiVo service. Error 319 constantly, taking 5 minutes+ just to load a program on catch-up and general slowness across the board. The picture quality on standard definition channels is also slightly better on V+ than it is on TiVo.

Customer services tell me it will be switched off on 31st May. As I understand this only applies to SA boxes because they're not MPEG4 compatible, the Samsung boxes are unaffected. They've also said that customers with Samsung boxes have been sent letters telling them to swap the box for TiVo. I suspect this is a lie (been told so many) but can someone put my mind at rest please?

Finally does anyone know just how long the V+ service will be around for?

Thanks

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: What's happening with V+ service?

The V+ service will continue for the foreseeable future. MPEG 4 issues do not affect the Samsung V+, so if you have one of these you are not affected by the change to MPEG4 transmission. Only the older Scientific Atlanta boxes must be replaced.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

fist101
Dialled in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Because of all the issues you had why did you not get the V6 installed? Same price as the Tivo and very fast response, I'm sure they would have done this FOC because of your issues???

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The Virgin TV V6 box and the TiVo 500GB box are not the same price.

For existing customers the TiVo 500 GB box is £14.99 one off cost, and then any appropriate changes to the monthly cost for the services you have.

The Virgin TV V6 box is £64.94 one off cost for those on Full House TV and 200Mbps Broadband, and £114.94 for all other service combinations.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd, thanks for confirming that! So it would seem that VM customer services are very mis-informed or it's another 'force TiVo' strategy. I hope the mods check in on this thread.

fist101, I really tried to get the V6 but the answer was no so as not to "de-value" it so soon after its release. It would have cost £114.94 + a monthly increase of £20 to my package because I'd need 100mb broadband to "drive it". I didn't argue with them any further as that's their policy but I know it would work fine with the 70mb I have currently.

I refused the upgrade on a principle basis. I don't need the V6 for its features rather than the fact it's usable whereas I feel the TiVo isn't unfortunately.

deano2012
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

To be honest i'd rather have the Samsung V+HD box over the TiVo anyday of the week' its still a reliable box' i had one years ago at my old property and it never put a foot wrong' i see complaints all the time on here with TiVo's
I am in an OVERSUBSCRIBED VIRGIN MEDIA AREA - Contention reference F003570038, ongoing since March 2016
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

deano2012, I feel the same way as you. Never had a problem with V+ and I'd be happy to keep it indefinitely. I have the 4K Amazon Fire TV for my streaming needs (Prime, Netflix etc).

nodrogd, I notice in your signature it says you have 2 V+ boxes. If this is still correct, how have you managed not to take TiVo, if you don't mind me asking?

Andrew

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

av-115 wrote:

nodrogd, I notice in your signature it says you have 2 V+ boxes. If this is still correct, how have you managed not to take TiVo, if you don't mind me asking?

Andrew

Two reasons:

1) The initial problems with the TiVO that never seemed to get sorted &

2) Having elderly parents in the house that still struggle to operate a V+, let alone a TiVO.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me. So have you just not re-contracted for a few years or have Virgin offered you a new contract without TiVo?

Only reason I ask is I'd like to upgrade to XL TV (from M+) but they won't let me do it unless I take TiVo again. What would you recommend?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Any re-negotiation comes with an equipment change as said previously. I have managed to "tweak" my options over the years, so I'm only paying a few pounds more than when I upgraded to V+ in 2011.

With the V+ boxes I have (which were some of the last new ones) now creaking at the seams I will soon have to upgrade anyway, as I don't fancy having refurbs put in.

0 Kudos