Menu
dazd
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Watching Netflix on non-Tivo box?

Hi all

I have a Tivo box downstairs but upstairs in my home office I have a normal VM HD box. If I go to channel 204 for Netflix and press the red button nothing happens. Is Netflix only watchable from the Tivo box even though I have a Tivo account? I have a Netflix account and would like to watch it on my TV rather than use my laptop so I can still do things on the laptop.

Thanks

Daz

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Watching Netflix on non-Tivo box?

may I recommend the roku stick over the amazon fire stick, for Netflix.

having used both, I think the Roku picture is subjectively better ( I know that digital they shoudl be the same 1080p full HD but somehow it manages to look better ? ) and it is very stable. The fire sticks can overheat if you binge watch & then you get picture freezes followed by catch ups. That never happens with my roku devices.

After much testing, I think I prefer amazon video on roku also-  the controls are different and you lose the ( useless in my opinion) x-ray feature, but you have consistent controls for both netflix and amazon, for skip forward / back....

On your account at amazon web site you can set a pin for video purchases , which then applies to all devices, so there's no chance of accidentally buying a non-prime show

i did an experiment with my fire sticks - I bought a 99p pack of aluminium heat sinks from ebay and tied them to both sides + added a few drops of arctic silver heat sink compound - they do suck out a lot of the heat.

All Replies
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Netflix is delivered by an app on the TiVo. The V HD box doesn't have app capability so you can't watch Netflix through it.

0 Kudos
dazd
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh makes sense, thanks Ernie :-)

Daz
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Netflix is delivered by an app on the TiVo. The V HD box doesn't have app capability so you can't watch Netflix through it.

but for ~£30 you can get  an amazon fire stick  , google chromecast, Android TV , or Roku streaming stick that delivers full HD Netflix very efficiently, anywhere you have decent wifi,  much better that the  fixed-in-place TIvo .

Roku also supports amazon video, and Plex , which Virgin are unlikely to ever do   & Amazon Fire can run Kodi if you google how to implement it, or buy a "fully loaded" Kodi solution from ebay.

used to be that with a few simple tweaks you could get the superior Netflix USA content on those solutions also, but not any more.

0 Kudos
dazd
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hey good idea, totally forgot about the Fire Stick.

Thanks cybmole

Daz
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

may I recommend the roku stick over the amazon fire stick, for Netflix.

having used both, I think the Roku picture is subjectively better ( I know that digital they shoudl be the same 1080p full HD but somehow it manages to look better ? ) and it is very stable. The fire sticks can overheat if you binge watch & then you get picture freezes followed by catch ups. That never happens with my roku devices.

After much testing, I think I prefer amazon video on roku also-  the controls are different and you lose the ( useless in my opinion) x-ray feature, but you have consistent controls for both netflix and amazon, for skip forward / back....

On your account at amazon web site you can set a pin for video purchases , which then applies to all devices, so there's no chance of accidentally buying a non-prime show

i did an experiment with my fire sticks - I bought a 99p pack of aluminium heat sinks from ebay and tied them to both sides + added a few drops of arctic silver heat sink compound - they do suck out a lot of the heat.