Menu
EezyP
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wanted: alphabetic channel guide!

Do you know anyone who's ever said "I wonder what's on Channel 143 now?".  No, they want to know what's on BBC4HD. More4?  More4HD - no logical channel number relationship.  Is there an HD option fo this channel?  Only option, scan the whole list - Aaaargh!  Please, Virgin, give us an ALPHABETICALLY sorted channel guide, or at least that option.  Better still, offer it as a spreadsheet so we could personalise it at will! Come on, Virgin, be customer-friendly!!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Wanted: alphabetic channel guide!

Aside from the main PSB's which have "prescribed" slots, its a competitive market for where channels are placed. Some channel owners expect a say in where their channels are located, & will pay a significant amount to be near the top of the EPG, especially on a certain competitor's satellite platform.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They cant. OFCOM make them give precedence to PSB channels in the guide.

0 Kudos
EezyP
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Why can't Virgin offer a spreadsheet in OFCOM order? Then I can sort it myself. I might even be tragic enough to create one myself manually! Is there an OFCOM directive? Perhaps I'll lobby them. Aren't they supposed to defend the consumer?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Aside from the main PSB's which have "prescribed" slots, its a competitive market for where channels are placed. Some channel owners expect a say in where their channels are located, & will pay a significant amount to be near the top of the EPG, especially on a certain competitor's satellite platform.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So as far as I can make out the 1st channel would be Alibi followed by ARY Digital and ARY News UK then Baby tv followed by many many BBC channels Then a few BOX channels and the BT sports channels, it would make for a very very strange order

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

EezyP wrote:

Do you know anyone who's ever said "I wonder what's on Channel 143 now?".  No, they want to know what's on BBC4HD. More4?  More4HD - no logical channel number relationship.  Is there an HD option fo this channel?  Only option, scan the whole list - Aaaargh!  Please, Virgin, give us an ALPHABETICALLY sorted channel guide, or at least that option.  Better still, offer it as a spreadsheet so we could personalise it at will! Come on, Virgin, be customer-friendly!!

Must admit it is never something that has troubled me. As others have said, alphabetical order would provide some strange results.

I just keep what I need in my Favourites although I can usually remember most of the channel numbers I need.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
glospurs
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

used to be able to put your favourite channels in the order you wanted them! was so much better!!
0 Kudos
EezyP
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I accept that the EPG is determined by OFCOM/commercial factors.  But what I find irritating is receiving just a .pdf from Virgin when channels change.  Almost any other format would be editable.  No, I don't watch Alibi or BabyTV either.  All I'm asking for is just a spreadsheet of the data as well as the .pdf, then I can edit out stuff I never access and put it in a humanly searchable order.  It would cost nothing as they're emailing us anyway.  It's not much to ask from a company who charged me £134 for their services last month!

PS. Does anyone from Virgin actually read any of this stuff, or is it just a cheap way to buffer the company from direct contact with their customers and defuse consumer frustration?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

EezyP wrote:

TI accept that the EPG is determined by OFCOM/commercial factors.  But what I find irritating is receiving just a .pdf from Virgin when channels change.  Almost any other format would be editable.  No, I don't watch Alibi or BabyTV either.  All I'm asking for is just a spreadsheet of the data as well as the .pdf, then I can edit out stuff I never access and put it in a humanly searchable order.  It would cost nothing as they're emailing us anyway.  It's not much to ask from a company who charged me £134 for their services last month!

PS. Does anyone from Virgin actually read any of this stuff, or is it just a cheap way to buffer the company from direct contact with their customers and defuse consumer frustration?

Instal foxit pdf editor

0 Kudos