Menu
Count_Zero
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Volume control on a TV with no remote

I've recently been "upgraded" to the TiVo service, when I didn't have cable TV before - I'm trying to use the box on a 1080p HDMI Screen (with speakers), but as this is primarily a PC Monitor it doesn't have a remote control (everything is done with a half dozen buttons on the front).

I've previously used a Freeview Set Top Box, which let me change the volume via the box remote - I can't see an option to do with the TiVo; is there any way to do this ?

I'd prefer to use the TiVo as it means I don't have to connect an aerial as well as a set-top box, but if I can't control the volume I can't use it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Volume control on a TV with no remote

There is no way of altering the volume output of the TiVo, hence why the remote control operates the TV/AV volume.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Count_Zero
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's what I thought, thanks - with no way to change the volume unless I'm right in front of the monitor, that makes the TiVo useless. (Odd that the cheap Bush Freeview box I have will do what I want though).

Back in the box it goes, why they couldn't just do me a discount on the internet that I wanted rather than a "Loyalty Discount" that included the TV I didn't want (With 2 days waiting in for the delivery, and then the install after the guy on the phone lied about the TiVo not needing a cable connection... saying it worked fine with an ethernet connection).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Freeview STB outputting via SCART with no HDMI option?

For future reference, every VM box needs a coax connection.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Count_Zero
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The Freeview box is a Bush DH2636, with SCART, RF and HDMI, not the best, it just lets me adjust the volume on the box-output, rather than needing to control the TV (As the "TV" in this case doesn't have a remote option, it worked pretty well - I just don't like having to plug in two things for the box and an aerial - since I've got the TiVo as part of the loyalty deal, I thought I'd use that - but with no way to change the volume, it's a no-no)

And I know *now* that the boxs need a co-ax connection, I had Virgin TV years ago, and they did then but when the guy who called me said that it worked over a network connection and it didn't matter that the TV is on the other side of the house to the hub, I believed him - as this is how my NowTV works.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

What I mean is that it has a DAC in it, with an adjustable amplifier. TiVo doesn't, and lets your TV/AV kit do the job.

0 Kudos