Menu
CatInABox
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Virgin and their refusal to add the new channels

Lets face it .... Spike, Heyday, Talking Pictures TV, MovieMix are all very good channels which would be a great addition to Virgins lineup and for the price we are paying SHOULD be part of the Virgin packages but instead they seem to be making no effort to get them. SKY have them all, and ITVENCORE because they seem to be more in tue with what customers want and Virgin just look silly and desperate when they shout excitedly about their new channels which turn out to be rubbish like France24 and Africa TV .... cheap foreign rubbish they would be better off saving their money on to get the other channels mentioned. I have personally been in touch with a couple of the missing channels and they tell me they've had negotiations with Virgin but they stall and get frustrated with Virgin who seem totally uniterested and appear to deliberately put obstacles in the way to prevent a successful conclusion, one can't help but wonder if Virgin as a company is in financial trouble due to Branson pouring cash into space travel hence their inability to expand their services. Instead we see a myriad of stupid, cheap foreign channels and gimmicky apps designed to make it appear like they are innovative and offering us a great service.

They should cut back on the crappy Eurotrash and Asian/African channels and concentrate more on getting the mentioned channels, I for one will be switching to Sky once my contract expires if they don't as Virgin has just deteriorated over the last 18 months with regards to keeping up with the channels available, Sky make them look uninterested, lazy and out of touch.

what REALLY angers me is the customer service reps who respond to posts like this on here and Facebook with their fake, cut and paste, HEY THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT rubbish to try and appear as if thry are listening, like politicians thry read ... act as if they listen but never DO ANYTHING.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin and their refusal to add the new channels

you can always move to sky./ I moved away due to skys lack of interest in giving good deals to someone who has been with them for 10+ years.
0 Kudos
CatInABox
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Whats the reward from Virgin for loyalty? I got £4 knocked off my monthly bill and a couple of months later the package price increased.  It would appear both companies can't afford to factor in loyalty but at least Sky make more of an effort with content (even have their own channels, productions) where as Virgin which don't have these overheads can't even offer all the freeview content and now new channels are ignored......then they have the nerve to charge a lot more then Sky.  Virgins on its way out....sad fact.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 27
Flag for a moderator

You are of course entitled to take your money where you wish. All the platforms are different (Freesat doesnt carry Yesterday, Really & Quest that are available on all the others, for instance). ITV Encore is part financed by Sky, & one of the conditions was a period of exclusivity on their platform. As for the cheap foreign rubbish, if there wasnt a market for it, VM wouldnt carry it. Their prices reflect the cost of running a network & all the equipment running on it. Apart from running an uplink to the SES owned satellites, Sky has none of the costs. They also have nothing to do with the free channels, apart from selling them EPG space. And lastly, where have you been. Branson is long gone, having sold out to Liberty Global, who run cable networks in most of Europe & South America, sometime ago.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
CatInABox
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 27
Flag for a moderator

gee I wonder why I naturally assume Branson is at the helm, you know...with the VIRGIN name and his smug, bearded presence in all the adverts.  I couldn't care less about the technical aspects of how each system operates, at the end of the day it boils to what they offer onscreen and Sky are ensuring they get the new channels straight away whilst Virgin has no interest in doing so, the foreign channels they offer are just a way of cheaply boosting the number of channels on offer to look good in their advertising.  TALKING PICTURES TV, is new and has loads of unique content, old tv shows and British B movies not available elsewhere, it would be of great interest to older subscribers but instead they stick to dozens of channels of American reality crap and exciting new ones like one from Portugal (yawn).  Have you really made almost 6000 posts on the Virgin forums? Wow....that speaks volumes.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 27
Flag for a moderator

CatInABox wrote:

gee I wonder why I naturally assume Branson is at the helm, you know...with the VIRGIN name and his smug, bearded presence in all the adverts.

In the current ads- thats Usain Bolt

I know the resemblance is remarkable,  but if you LOOK REALLY carefully its possible to tell the difference...

CatInABox
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hmmm well that bearded white guy pushing the lever to supercharge broadband and also that guy in the shed glueing a plastice spaceshuttle model together looks remarkably like Branson, perhaps you ought to LOOK REAL CAREFULLY. 

Almost 3000 posts in less then a year? .... Suspicious.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 27
Flag for a moderator

LMAO actually now that I look...... you right..

Shows you how much attention I pay.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Richard Branson has only slightly more to do with Virgin as he has to do with pickles

0 Kudos
CatInABox
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 27
Flag for a moderator

I guess this European company, as part of the deal, has retained Branson for advertising purposes to give the false impression this is a wholely British company, shame, as part of the reason I opted for Virgin was to avoid putting anymore money into Murdochs pocket via Sky.  Seeing as the BRITISHNESS of it is clearly a sham AND their refusal to get the new channels, thats me out.....ta ta Virgin.

0 Kudos