Menu
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin TV package and Free View

I have (L) TV Package and I have noticed that I cannot watch a couple of free View channels Why, surely if its free view then its exactly that free !!! if there is a program I want to watch I have to go in another room to watch the TV that doesn't have Virgin Package.

Does anyone else have these problems or can offer any advice.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin TV package and Free View

Simple explanation. Freeview, Freesat, Sky & Virgin are all different commercial "platforms". The channels owners pay the platform provider to join that platform, so each platform joined is an additional expense. Therefore channels will appear on some platforms, but not others. Also, with "pay" platforms like Sky  & Virgin, channel owners can opt to take a cut of subscription income from the channel pack they join. This is why Horror channel appears on Freeview, but is not on TV M (Virgin's free equivalent package).

Only the basic PSB (Public Service Broadcast) channels (BBC, ITV1, CH4 & CH5) must be provided free on all platforms. All the others are subject to commercial agreements with individual platforms..

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Simple explanation. Freeview, Freesat, Sky & Virgin are all different commercial "platforms". The channels owners pay the platform provider to join that platform, so each platform joined is an additional expense. Therefore channels will appear on some platforms, but not others. Also, with "pay" platforms like Sky  & Virgin, channel owners can opt to take a cut of subscription income from the channel pack they join. This is why Horror channel appears on Freeview, but is not on TV M (Virgin's free equivalent package).

Only the basic PSB (Public Service Broadcast) channels (BBC, ITV1, CH4 & CH5) must be provided free on all platforms. All the others are subject to commercial agreements with individual platforms..

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Flossy744
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, I understand the reason now.

Flossy744.

0 Kudos
David6
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This though is another way for Virgin and Sky to charge more.

0 Kudos
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

David6 wrote:

This though is another way for Virgin and Sky to charge more.

Yes, I agree but they have people over a barrel so to speak.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well. You may be paying Sky or Virgin for the end product, but its the wholesale agreement between the channel providers & the platforms that decides what you eventually fork out in the long run.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You pay for bbc channels via licence fee, so when you work if out nothing is free. Micky
0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not exactly true free to air commercial channels are free but with the added bonus of a tea break every 15 minutes 

0 Kudos