Menu
Highlighted
a_ferns
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media vs Sky

Can anyone tell me what channels are not available with Virgin Media TV that are available with Sky please?
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media vs Sky

Sky Atlantic is not available. ITV Encore is exclusive to Sky. There are also several channels where the HD version is only on Sky due to exclusive deals. There are also 30 odd free-to-air satellite channels not on Virgin (they are not effectively on Sky either as satellite is an open platform & Sky cannot stop you receiving them). You can also only get the regional BBC & ITV  channel designated for your area (with a few exceptions) plus BBC1 Wales, Scotland & NI.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sky Atlantic is not available. ITV Encore is exclusive to Sky. There are also several channels where the HD version is only on Sky due to exclusive deals. There are also 30 odd free-to-air satellite channels not on Virgin (they are not effectively on Sky either as satellite is an open platform & Sky cannot stop you receiving them). You can also only get the regional BBC & ITV  channel designated for your area (with a few exceptions) plus BBC1 Wales, Scotland & NI.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

a_ferns
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your reply please can you let me know if all the sports channels that are available on Sky are also available with Virgin?  And also all the movie channels?  Also do you have any idea on cost?  We currently pay £110 a month for the full sky package, including 3 separate Sky boxes for multi room and HD.  There is also an app called Sky GO which is particularly useful when going on holiday as I can download any number of films before I travel to watch offline when abroad and this app can be used on a maximum of 4 devices.

Look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You can get loads more 4k sports on sky and we are still waiting on Virgin
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

For 4K, here are the options.

If you have a Sky Q 2TB box and the Sky Q Multiscreen subscription you can watch sports events such as football and F1, TV shows or films.

In contrast, Virgin Media's V6 has apps for Netflix and YouTube which enable streaming of 4K content. Even though this is obviously far more limiting than Sky's offering, having an app is better than for getting 5.1 audio to play through your AVR than using something such as ARC from a TV.

0 Kudos
holmestm
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've heard of more than one or two teething problems with Sky Q so it may be a question of grass is greener. Safest bet is what I'm doing and just hold off buying a new TV until the standards bed-in or my eyesight deteriorates with age to the point that 4K becomes a moot point. 

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One thing which is rarely asked is this: do you watch or play a lot of standard definition content? If so, you need to be aware that SD looks worse, and often a lot worse, on a 4K TV compared with a 1080p full HD TV due to the scaling required from 576i to 2160p. If you are happy with your FHD TV, be in no rush to upgrade to a 4K TV.

I think the main reasons for getting a 4K TV are:

• Your TV broke, you want a new one but are struggling to find a suitable FHD.
  • You want to watch a lot of 4K content from sources such as UHD Blu-ray Discs, Sky, Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger, good point about 4K, I imagine from your tag line you like me are suffering a wee bit at the moment, hopefully it will pass. Regards Micky
0 Kudos