Menu
Ringo999
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VM 4K Launch Date

Does anyone have an idea when VM will be launching 4K?

I have spoken to the sales team who said they don't know but hope it would be before the end of the year. I've tweeted VM but all I get are cryptic messages saying "it might be here quicker than you think". No rough/tentative dates or even if it will be in 2016. Considering Sky launch their service next month I'm very surprised VM won't even tell me roughly when they aim to launch the service.

Surely I'm not the only one that is considering switching from VM to SkyQ based on the complete lack of information supplied by VM?!

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM 4K Launch Date

I was told the TiVo is 4K ready when I took out Virgin a few months ago but I have my suspicions that it isn't. Sky Q looked very tempting until it launched without voice search and power line internet being enabled and with a fairly large price tag if you want to make the most of it.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The current TiVO is not 4K. The next gen TiVO is rumoured for launch early next year. As stated above, the standard Sky Q service is also not 4K. The premium service is, but comes with a premium price tag to boot.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I almost halved my TV/Phone/BBI bill when I switched from Sky to Virgin. Ok, the TV is terrible in comparison but my wife went away for a week last week and we turned the TiVo on twice while she was gone so I don't really care. It would be nice to get 4K content outside of YouTube and Netflix but not at a premium. These technologies need to be adopted early on and offered as part of the package otherwise people will just go elsewhere.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Ringo999
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It might be a premium for SkyQ but the package is still the same price as I pay for my VM package now. Who knows if VM will start to charge a premium for 4K if and when it ever arrives, leaving them further behind than they already are.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ringo999 wrote:

It might be a premium for SkyQ but the package is still the same price as I pay for my VM package now. Who knows if VM will start to charge a premium for 4K if and when it ever arrives, leaving them further behind than they already are.

Really because Sky Q is £53 per month without phone line or broadband and no sports and movies 

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I was paying nearly £110 a month for 40mbit broadband, basic phone and the top TV package with Sky Movies, no sports channels and with HD and a second box. For £63 a month with Virgin I get the top TV package with 200mbit broadband and a second box. The only thing we dropped was Sky Movies which we never watched anyway. Once the introductory period is finished the full price is less than £80. I've kept Netflix and taken out a NowTV subscription and it's still about £35 a month cheaper than Sky was. Sky Q would have added another £20-30 on top of my bill plus £50 installation and no doubt they will charge extra for 4K like they do for HD.

0 Kudos
Ringo999
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Go onto both websites to see a straight comparison. Sky Q Silver 2TB box (record 4 shows and watch a 5th), unlimited Sky fibre, 2 boxes, SkyGo on 2 tablets, pay as your talk phone, movies & sports channels, basically their top package is £119.40 a month for 12 months then £129.40 a month for 6 months.

2 months ago I signed up with Virgin for essentially the same package as above - the Big Kahuna deal, all movies & sports, unlimited fibre, phone etc. but with only a crappy V HD Box in the second room. That currently costs me £109.48 for 12 months then £128.09 for 6 months. If I want a 2nd Tivo box instead of the V HD box it's an extra £5 a month.

So even without the 2nd Tivo box, the total price for Sky Q Silver over the full contract period is £2209.20 and for Virgin is £2082.30. Averaging that over 18months it works out that Virgin is only £7.05 per month cheaper. But for significantly inferior hardware, software and apps. That's obviously £2.05 a month if I want a 2nd Tivo.

Really regretting my decision to join Virgin now. Had the Sky 4K announcement been made prior to me joining it would have been a simple decision. My only option now is to cancel my VM contract for £240 and switch to Sky, which I'm probably going to do based on the absolute silence from VM on their 4K plans, and also how significantly advanced the Sky Q box is compared to Tivo, the slicker interface, usability etc. and far superior Sky Go service. 

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Come on Virgin, we are last again behind BT and Sky. The season is coming again and we don't have access to ultra 4K.

Please can we have some idea plus TiVo 2

0 Kudos