Menu
micol1873
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

V6 Technical Spec and Requirements

Hi,

Just tried to get answers to some questions on chat around the V6 before placing an order. Unfortunately when it came to any technical questions, the sales agent did not have apt knowledge of the product (which i found strange).  I am on full house bundle so was also told my package (including discounts) would not change, I would just pay the ~£49 box fee plus ~£15 activation one off.

Anyway, the point at which i got nervous was when they asked if my hub was within or greater than 3 meters from my Tivo box or where my V6 would be installed.  On answering that they were, I was told that would be ok, so I asked - "why ask the question then??"

Answer given - For clear picture/quality etc, the V6 runs on wireless and needs to be close to the hub.

So, would appreciate if someone could clarify the following:-

1) Is V6 fully wireless or does this utilise the co-ax cable that currently goes into the back of the tivo box?  Surely a move away from a direct connection with stronger signal (as you would by plugging Enet cable into a PC) is a bad idea.

2) If it is, i can move my hub and make use of that cable.  If not, I would need to get a splitter put on the downstairs cable to go between V6 box and the hub - any ideas around cost?

Apologies for the daft questions, but before i sign up to anything, i like to be in possession of the facts.  Could someone answer the above or provide a full list of the technical specifications required?  

Virgin was installed 11 years ago, so initially had a cable run into the living room into the V+box (i think) and a secondary cable run up the wall into upstairs bedroom for broadband.

I don't want to use the powerline adapters as have tried them before and sent them back to VM.

thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Technical Spec and Requirements

V6 uses the coax for watching/recording live TV. So it needs a coax connection for that.

It then connects to your HUB for Catch up/on demand etc. It has WiFi on board. However mine is wired, CAT5E to the HUB via a switch. You can also use power lines to connect it up to your network.

As a rule of thumb its perfectly possible to use either connection for either V6.TiVo or HUB, they are not discrete connections, just a connection to VM's network. So changing them round is no issue.

V6 REPLACES one of your TiVo's- most people obviously use the connection that TiVo was connected to.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 Technical Spec and Requirements

micol1873 wrote:

Hi,

Just tried to get answers to some questions on chat around the V6 before placing an order. Unfortunately when it came to any technical questions, the sales agent did not have apt knowledge of the product (which i found strange).  I am on full house bundle so was also told my package (including discounts) would not change, I would just pay the ~£49 box fee plus ~£15 activation one off.

Anyway, the point at which i got nervous was when they asked if my hub was within or greater than 3 meters from my Tivo box or where my V6 would be installed.  On answering that they were, I was told that would be ok, so I asked - "why ask the question then??"

Answer given - For clear picture/quality etc, the V6 runs on wireless and needs to be close to the hub.

So, would appreciate if someone could clarify the following:-

1) Is V6 fully wireless or does this utilise the co-ax cable that currently goes into the back of the tivo box?  Surely a move away from a direct connection with stronger signal (as you would by plugging Enet cable into a PC) is a bad idea.

You can have it WiFi or Ethernet it does not need the coax for on demand but does for normal TV

2) If it is, i can move my hub and make use of that cable.  If not, I would need to get a splitter put on the downstairs cable to go between V6 box and the hub - any ideas around cost?

I would imagine you could get the hub moved as a part of the Job, You would need a splitter, I would say you could negotiate this done for free if you are out of contract

Apologies for the daft questions, but before i sign up to anything, i like to be in possession of the facts.  Could someone answer the above or provide a full list of the technical specifications required?  

http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/corporate/VirginTVV6boxfactsheet.pdf

Virgin was installed 11 years ago, so initially had a cable run into the living room into the V+box (i think) and a secondary cable run up the wall into upstairs bedroom for broadband.

I don't want to use the powerline adapters as have tried them before and sent them back to VM.

thanks

0 Kudos