Menu
Joan1957
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V+ to TIVO - no thanks

I already have a Tivo box and additional box which is a V+ (Samsung).  I went in to local Virgin store (as I couldn't get customer service to answer phone yesterday).to enquire about upgrading the V+.  Appointment arranged for 2nd November to swap over the V+ to Tivo. I specifically asked what the cost would be before agreeing and was told the additional Tivo box was £7.50 per month. No mention of anything else or any other costs.  Then I get an email to tell me that I would be charged £54.99 for activation and installation to change it over.  My monthly bill for Virgin has increased from £67 to £89 in less than 3 years - (the only change I made was adding caller display). I'm not prepared to pay an additional £54.99. So I will keep the V+ box till it breaks down and then Virgin can replace it - for free. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V+ to TIVO - no thanks

Hello Joan1957,

Welcome back to the community.

I'm very sorry to hear this has happened and that you were not made aware of the charges but for something like this I would recommend speaking to one of our customer service advisers to ensure it's dealt with appropriately on 150 from a Virgin landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone. 

There are no charges to fix or replace our Virgin boxes and should you change your mind to upgrade our customer service team will be on hand to help you with this.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Joan1957 wrote:

I already have a Tivo box and additional box which is a V+ (Samsung).  I went in to local Virgin store (as I couldn't get customer service to answer phone yesterday).to enquire about upgrading the V+.  Appointment arranged for 2nd November to swap over the V+ to Tivo. I specifically asked what the cost would be before agreeing and was told the additional Tivo box was £7.50 per month. No mention of anything else or any other costs.  Then I get an email to tell me that I would be charged £54.99 for activation and installation to change it over.  My monthly bill for Virgin has increased from £67 to £89 in less than 3 years - (the only change I made was adding caller display). I'm not prepared to pay an additional £54.99. So I will keep the V+ box till it breaks down and then Virgin can replace it - for free. 

Only 2 drawbacks to this. More & more services are app based, so will not be available on the old boxes, along with a diminishing OD offering. Replacement V+ boxes are refurb units, & are prone to reliability issues. If you make any changes to your core package in future, an upgrade to TiVO will be automatically included. Its only because you have triggered a standalone upgrade that you are being charged.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

As there is already one TiVo on the account, a bundle change wouldn't force additional boxes to be swapped to TiVo.

Normally to swap out an existing additional V+ to a 500GB TiVo as Quickstart self install, it should only be £14.99 for Quickstart activation and then £7.50 a month.

With the install and activation charge being £54.99, it sounds like it's been arranged as a chosen engineer install i.e. if Quickstart is available but a customer chooses an engineer instead there is an additional £40.

If that wasn't was wanted (and it doesn't sound like it is), then it should be possible to re-arrange as Quickstart with the reduced activation fee.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos