Menu
Gemmabrownsheff
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V hd box tips and info

Hi
We have recently switched from Sky to virgin. When the representative came to our house we decided we were trying to save money and went for the M TV package and an extra box for the bedroom.
The box that arrived for the bedroom is a V hd box and it isn't what I expected at all when I asked for multi room. It is basically a zooped up free view box. There is hardly any catch up. We can't get any on demand. And we can't pause or rewind.
Is this normal?
I thought we would be able to watch stuff that was on our downstairs box. Or at least get proper catch up on it. I player is really limited.
Also should we be able to watch boxsets on our tivo box? Or will we be limited because of the package?
I have been with sky forever so this is all a bit of a change and at the minute I'm not loving it. If we were to upgrade our TV package by how much/to what would we need to do it?!
Thanks
Gemma
Tags (2)

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V hd box tips and info

TV M is Virgin's no-frills "Freeview" equivalent service, & is basically provided free with a landline. The VHD box is a single tuner, non-record box. Virgin sometimes offer V+HD recording boxes as second boxes to ex Sky viewers, but these are refurbished units & can cause more trouble than they are worth. Only TiVO boxes can stream programmes to eachother, & even this facility is restricted due to rights issues with some broadcasters. On demand programmes are also dependant on your subscription level, which for TV M will be very basic.

If you want HD content the only TV package to go for is XL, which is basically everything excluding the premium channels like SkyMovies.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

TV M is Virgin's no-frills "Freeview" equivalent service, & is basically provided free with a landline. The VHD box is a single tuner, non-record box. Virgin sometimes offer V+HD recording boxes as second boxes to ex Sky viewers, but these are refurbished units & can cause more trouble than they are worth. Only TiVO boxes can stream programmes to eachother, & even this facility is restricted due to rights issues with some broadcasters. On demand programmes are also dependant on your subscription level, which for TV M will be very basic.

If you want HD content the only TV package to go for is XL, which is basically everything excluding the premium channels like SkyMovies.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
DianeSimons
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've got a V box HD as a second room option with the VIP package. I've only just (a month after installation) got a power line and connected it by Ethernet cable to the V box HD. There's no apps, no Netflix, still limited catch up. 

Is this normal? What do I need to get apps on the TV upstairs without telephoning anyone? I have hearing problems and resent asking anyone else to talk for me.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi DianeSimons,

Thanks for your post on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you were set up on a package that doesn't suit your requirements. 

The VHD box does not provide any apps; its function is to provide channel viewing (including some Catch Up and On Demand as well as premium channel access such as Sky Movies or Sky Sports), apologies that this was not explained clearly to you. Apps are only available via the TiVo®.

If you would like to change your VHD box to a TiVo®, you can get in touch with us via our WebChat option if you prefer not to call in.

Please go to Contact Us, click on the appropriate options and then Online Chat. Otherwise, you will need to give us a call on 150 (free from a Virgin Media landline & Virgin Media mobile) or 0345 454 1111 (from any other phone).

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos