Menu
trfc1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

V+box whirring when not used

My v+ Samsung box makes an annoying whirring sound when not in use. This is in the bedroom and is annoying piece of kit. Had to switch it off altogether last night to quell the noise!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V+box whirring when not used

I believe its just the hard drive that spins up now and again.

Rubber feet on the bottom of the box helps to dampen the vibration and thus the noise
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V+ HDD spins up once an hour, plus there is the main EPG update & several other updates that occur overnight. If it is the cooling fan that is the issue, then quick go round with the vacuum cleaner at the inlet may solve the issue. If not then this should be phoned in as it is classed as a fault.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I believe its just the hard drive that spins up now and again.

Rubber feet on the bottom of the box helps to dampen the vibration and thus the noise
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V+ HDD spins up once an hour, plus there is the main EPG update & several other updates that occur overnight. If it is the cooling fan that is the issue, then quick go round with the vacuum cleaner at the inlet may solve the issue. If not then this should be phoned in as it is classed as a fault.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi trfc1,

I'm sorry to hear about the racket that the V+ box is causing. Smiley Mad

I've had a look at your account and checked the equipment for you.

I can't detect any faults on there at present. However, if after following the advice from the Community you're still having trouble with this, our team will be more than happy to help on 150 free from any Virgin landline or 0345 454 1111 on any other line. Alternatively, you can chat to our online team via: [Contact us].

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
robinstrachan
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The answer here is to provide an option that Standby mode turns the box off. There are many complaints about the noise from bedroom boxes. My v6 box seems to have the hard drive running all night. I end up pulling the plug. Sort it out with a software update rather than putting the burden on the user.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

robinstrachan wrote:

The answer here is to provide an option that Standby mode turns the box off. There are many complaints about the noise from bedroom boxes. My v6 box seems to have the hard drive running all night. I end up pulling the plug. Sort it out with a software update rather than putting the burden on the user.

Wont happen with V+ boxes, that will never have any more firmware tweaks due to their age & known temperamental behavior. The EPG updates slow the box to a crawl for about 30 minutes, so are not something you want happening during the day.

0 Kudos