Menu
Gandalf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V+ box replacement

I've just had an email from VM saying they need to replace our V+ box with a Tivo (No charge but DIY install).  Seems in a few weeks changes to VM network means the V box won't work.  Very short notice as we have many programmes recorded to watch.  I know I can burn them to DVD or I could if I had a DVD recorder and it takes ages. 

So here is my question:  I understand the V box is being left for me to dispose (thanks) but after the changeover if I plug it into my TV without the VM connection will I still be able to watch programmes recorded on its hard drive?

My wife's not happy about loosing the many gardening programmes she wants to watch.  She also thinks the V box remote is superior to the Tivo one (I agree - wish the mute button and guide buttons were more prominent) she also prefers the V box on screen guide, again I agree too much clutter on the Tivo screen and please could we have programme length displayed on recordings.

Peter

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: V+ box replacement

as long as the box isn't powered down you can watch your recordings

The old remote will still work with the Tivo up to a point

You can see the program length if you hit the play button or FF or skip while the program is playing

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V+ boxes wont work without connection to the network & a valid viewing card. As soon as you do the box swap, the viewing card, which controls channel access & therefore access to recordings, is made invalid

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Gandalf
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Not the answer I wanted but I'm not surprised.

wrt to programme length I know I can select a programme and start playing it to see the length but on the V+ the playing time was shown with the title in  the recordings list which was very useful in helping to decide whether we had time to watch a programme.

Peter

0 Kudos