501ROD
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V+ HD Box Power Settings

Hi - newbie to Virgin media just switched from Sky

TiVo Box great - great

2nd Box V+ HD Box Samsung in bedroom has one major drawback

No Auto Shut Off - I have searched forum posts but cannot find a way of amending Power Settings on V+ HD Box .

TV has sleep mode - but currently annoyed by blue light from V+ box

can the Samsung V+ HD Box be adjusted to shutdown after 3hrs no use - as appears was standard on older boxes

any help much appreciated - Paul

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V+ HD Box Power Settings

The time display can be shut off when the box is put into standby (its in the display settings somewhere) so the box will only display the red standby indicator when in standby. Apart from that the V+ has no other power saving options. There are 2 reasons for this:

1) The boxes are a 15 -20 year old design, & will shortly be phased out.

2) The box runs a number of updates, including a complete EPG update overnight, so needs to remain in standby.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
JakePasquill
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I've no experience with these boxes, so I can't even begin to help out with settings, but from a personal experience of annoying LED's, get some duct tape over it! Hahaha..

Honestly though, give it a few days and the forum team or a useful member of this community will be around to help you out Smiley Happy

---------

I'll always try my best to help, although my advice may not always lead to a solution. Take it as you wish, I just like to help Smiley Happy
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The time display can be shut off when the box is put into standby (its in the display settings somewhere) so the box will only display the red standby indicator when in standby. Apart from that the V+ has no other power saving options. There are 2 reasons for this:

2) The box runs a number of updates, including a complete EPG update overnight, so needs to remain in standby.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

If they are to be phased out what will they replace them with, I only have the V+HD box and I don't want to be paying more money out.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Flossy744 wrote:

If they are to be phased out what will they replace them with, I only have the V+HD box and I don't want to be paying more money out.

They're replaced by TiVo, as this is Virgin Media's current and future TV platform.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

Flossy744 wrote:

They're replaced by TiVo, as this is Virgin Media's current and future TV platform.

Will Virginmedia charge me extra per month if they take away my V+HD box and replace with a TiVo as it would be them breaking my contract.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Flossy744 wrote:

Will Virginmedia charge me extra per month if they take away my V+HD box and replace with a TiVo as it would be them breaking my contract.

It depends on the reason for the change.

Since November last year, all core bundles deals also require a customer to have TiVo. So if you decide to change to a new core bundle for any reason, you'd need to take TiVo. In this case charges may apply as it's a change requested by you.

However Virgin Media are offering to replace some older Scientific Atlanta V+ HD boxes for customers that subscribe to Sky Sport and Movies HD channels, due to technical changes that are being made that means they won't be available on the older V+ HD boxes. Where this is happening there isn't a charge being made as it's a required change to continue to receive subscribed channels.

But whatever options may be offered in regards to changing from a V+ HD box, the final choice remains with you based on the information Virgin Media have provided.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for explaining it all for me.

I don't have sky sports or movies, I would not change my package either I have L package and Broadband.

BenMcr wrote:

Flossy744 wrote:

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Flossy744 wrote:

I don't have sky sports or movies, I would not change my package either I have L package and Broadband.

BenMcr wrote:

Flossy744 wrote:

Then you can keep the box for the time being, while Virgin are stiil able to a) maintain the middle ware platform that drives the boxes & b) provide refurbished boxes to replace ones that break down.

However, it means that as you are choosing to stay on a legacy package when there may well be a cheaper deal available for the same services.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
Flossy744
Superfast
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

Flossy744 wrote:

BenMcr wrote:

Flossy744 wrote:

Then you can keep the box for the time being, while Virgin are stiil able to a) maintain the middle ware platform that drives the boxes & b) provide refurbished boxes to replace ones that break down.

However, it means that as you are choosing to stay on a legacy package when there may well be a cheaper deal available for the same services.

Thanks you have put my mind at rest.

I doubt there is anything cheaper for us unless I went down to M TV package, Virginmedia said a couple of years back that if I took out my phone line with them then it could be cheaper but I wont so I will settle for what I have, (for now) Smiley Happy

0 Kudos