Menu
x11xddx11xhd
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

V HD Box - HDMI - SCART

Good evening fellow Virgins.

Firstly, I don’t even know if I have got an issue as I am watching TV !

Read on…

My over 10 year old Telewest (yes, really !) SA Explorer Box recently started needing a daily online diagnostic check to get it running. Spoke to Virgin via Chat and requested a more up to date replacement. Duly received a V HD Box (not Plus) today for viewing my “M” TV Package. I was also told this would open up access to the free HD channels.

The instructions in the box stated I should ONLY use the HDMI cable to connect to my Samsung HD TV, as also connecting the SCART would cause interference.

(I have seen other instructions online that state use both, or start with both and then remove the SCART.)

Repeated attempts to connect using only the HDMI failed. Other HDMI devices are displayed as normal in the “Source” menu. Eventually reverted to the SCART cable (which uses an “EXT (RGB)” adaptor as the Samsung HDTV does not have a SCART input) and low and behold the V HD Box was recognised as EXT via “Source”.

HD channels are active and both Picture and Sound seem a bit sharper when flicking between HD and non-HD channels, but not an in-your-face breath-taking difference.

So the current set up is V HD Box & HDTV connected using SCART & HDMI, with the box being recognised as EXT rather than any of the 3 available HDMI inputs.

Is the set up correct / acceptable / wrong ?

Comments, opinions, advice & questions all welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Anthonyec
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: V HD Box - HDMI - SCART

Hi, I would suspect that if your TV is not showing the input as HDMI then I think you will find that the signal is coming in via the Scart which is not HD. Try disconnecting the HDMI lead and see if you still get a picture on your TV, if you do then the signal is being routed by Scart. If on the other hand you disconnect Scart but still get a picture then it is coming via HDMI. However just because it is coming over by HDMI that is no guarantee that the signal is HD. If you go into the settings on your box you can check what the output is set to. Press HOME > Help & settings > settings > Video Output, check what Video Output Format is, mine shows 1080i, but bear in mind what i said, just because it shows 1080i doesn't mean the the actual content is HD.

Usually the box will auto connect to the TV by the connection you have chosen, my advice would be to only plug in the HDMI lead to the TV, make a note of the input number, make sure the TV set to that input.

I hope that gives you some help.

0 Kudos
x11xddx11xhd
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response.
The signal is only dependent on the SCART cable. If I unplug the SCART there is no signal, but unplugging the HDMI does not affect anything.
In the Home / Settings menu I have it set on HDMI at 1080.
I'll try a few variations in the morning to make sure there are no obvious solutions and then maybe give VM a shout to see if they can assist.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the older V boxes have a toggle setting somewhere , where you choose between: use scart / use HDMI

so you have to connect on scart, then flip that setting...

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

the older V boxes had a toggle setting somewhere , where you choose between: use scart / use HDMi

so you had to connect on scart, then flip that setting...

frankly - you'd be better advised to insist on an engineer visit with a newer box and have him set that up for HDMi

the next TV set you buy will probably not have a scart input !

the only reason to stay on the old box will be to watch existing recordings, that cannot be copied over.

setting HDMi to 1080p is correct only  you have a full HD 1080 TV, you could try setting that to 720, if unsure, or to auto if there is an auto option

a " HD ready" TV supports 720, a "full HD" TV supports 1080

0 Kudos
x11xddx11xhd
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good morning cybmole.

The current TV is a 3 year old bells and whistles Samsung HD and I'd assumed it had no SCART as this was an older tech. than HDMI ?

The cable I use to convert the SCART is as per the photos.

I don't see a switch on the box. I can only toggle between SCART & HDMI via the Help / Settings menu.

The V HD Box than came yesterday was manufactured in 2012, and to be honest looks like a used box. Dirty rubber feet and dog-eared stickers being the giveaway.

Thanks again.

13839692_521816508010141_42140202_o.jpg13839892_521816531343472_1865397845_o.jpg

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

With the exception of the TiVO most other boxes in circulation are refurb units. Only TiVO's can access the additional apps available on Virgin's services, which are included in the cost of your package whether you have a TiVO or not, so the other boxes will be gradually phased out.

The only possibility I can think of for the HDMI issue is either there is a handshake problem with HDCP (Virgin boxes can be more fussy with this than DVD players). The other is that the initial setup for HDMI is 576i resolution. If the TV is not compatible with this it needs to be changed before you can see a picture. Have you tried changing source selection on the TV away from the Virgin box & then back again? I know I have to do this every time I reboot one of my boxes, or the TV shows no picture afterword.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I don't see a switch on the box. I can only toggle between SCART & HDMI via the Help / Settings menu.

yes, I meant within the menus, not a physical switch

you are trying to get an old tech analogue box to talk to a new tech digital TV, It's never going to end well , unless you spend far more on complex converters than you ever would on tivo rental.

expecting some ebay? made in china POS cable  to work the magic is, let's say, optimistic ? I don't see how putting the right shaped bits at each end is going to make the necessary analogue to digital transformation happen in the middle .

and even then you can't get HD channels to display  in HD if starting from scart out.. the digital copy protection kicks in and stops that, otherwise anyone could tape HD TV onto VHS via a scart lead into an old VCR, or into a DVD recorder

PS also see here

http://hdmitoscart.co.uk/

a cable that does HDMI  out -> scart in -> analogue display is NOT that same as something that does scart out -> HDMI  in -> digital display.

what you have in that picture is not bi-directional !

call retentions and say you need something with HDMi at a good price, that will work with your TV.in order to stay. maybe they will give you a free Tivo upgrade Smiley Happy

you'd think that VM would have techs who understood & could work throuh the HDMi / Scart / TV/ V box issues with a customer by phone but we dream on...

0 Kudos
x11xddx11xhd
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Had a meltdown...
Called the automated system again this morning to re-try the set up and heard the "I see you've ordered a package" statement before pressing the required phone buttons to send the signal again.
Only at the end did I realise I was listening to the automated message to activate the new broadband HUB that is on the way to replace another lump of obsolete kit...
And that signal knocked out the current hub !
Called VM...
1. Engineer coming on Sunday to see what the SCART / HDMI issue is.
As I said, I can flick between BBC News on 601 & 604 and there is certainly a difference in picture quality, but this is using only the SCART (?!?!). Having the HDMI in or out makes no difference to the picture and is never picked up by the TV as an HDMI input.
The SCART adaptor I have came with the TV.
2. Broadband out the game until the new hub arrives.
3. I wonder if Redifusion are still on the go ?!
Thanks again all.
0 Kudos
x11xddx11xhd
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Good morning All.

VM Engineer in attendance yesterday. Took approximately 30 seconds to identify the V HD Box HDMI socket as being defective.

Fetched a new box from the van, plugged in, registered, watching via HDMI in 10 minutes.

He then put the old unit in the box and scraped a big "X" across the cardboard, so hopefully it doesn't end up getting posted out to A N Other !

Thanks again for the responses.

0 Kudos