Menu
regentroad5
Dialled in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

V+ Box - no future?

I have a V+ box and am very happy with it. However, recently I have rung Virgin to see what discounts are available, since their prices appear to have increased three times this year, and I'm wondering whether I should renew my (shortly to expire) rental line saver with them, or should look elsewhere for better value for money.

It seems any discounts available to me are contingent on me replacing my V+ box with a TIVO  box, which I am loathe to do, taking the view if it's not broke why fix it?

I'm very tempted to move to Talk Talk at the moment since they seem to have some very competitively priced offers, probably to restore confidence and undo the damage done when their website was compromised.
I'm also wondering if it is the case that the V+ box is on the way out, do you think that if and when mine goes wrong, Virgin will refuse to fix it, and I will be forced to accept a Tivo box?

Thank you.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V+ Box - no future?

Virgin replace like with like, so if your box breaks it will be replaced with a refurbished V+.

These boxes ceased production in 2011, so the box you get will have had at least one if not more previous owners, & some of these have reliability issues. You will see many posts here from people who have had 2 or 3 replacement boxes before they get one that works satisfactorily.

TiVO is now the offered box & Virgin will insist you have one if you change packages. You may if you are lucky get one of the new V6 boxes.

As far as TalkTalk are concerned, you need a good Freeview signal (& your own aerial) to get a decent service. The future of the YouView box they use is unsure, as it looks likely YouView will be bought by BT so they can develop the box themselves.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm pretty sure Talk Talk won't let you keep the V+, If you are happy with the Box and the service and only want to change to save money that's understandable.

If as you say Virgin are only offering discounts to people who move on from legacy boxes they want to eventually get off of their network that is also understandable from a business perspective.

Personally I'd hang on for the new V6 box as it's likely to blow all of the old boxes out of the water in terms of performance (we hope)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin replace like with like, so if your box breaks it will be replaced with a refurbished V+.

These boxes ceased production in 2011, so the box you get will have had at least one if not more previous owners, & some of these have reliability issues. You will see many posts here from people who have had 2 or 3 replacement boxes before they get one that works satisfactorily.

TiVO is now the offered box & Virgin will insist you have one if you change packages. You may if you are lucky get one of the new V6 boxes.

As far as TalkTalk are concerned, you need a good Freeview signal (& your own aerial) to get a decent service. The future of the YouView box they use is unsure, as it looks likely YouView will be bought by BT so they can develop the box themselves.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm pretty sure Talk Talk won't let you keep the V+, If you are happy with the Box and the service and only want to change to save money that's understandable.

If as you say Virgin are only offering discounts to people who move on from legacy boxes they want to eventually get off of their network that is also understandable from a business perspective.

Personally I'd hang on for the new V6 box as it's likely to blow all of the old boxes out of the water in terms of performance (we hope)

regentroad5
Dialled in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I've decided to stay with Virgin, negotiated an 18 month deal - 70mbps, free weekend calls, TIVO box, M+ (or equivalent) TV (dependent on renewing RLS)

It will be approx £21 for 6 months, and then £26 -ish for 12 months.

Taking the fact I'm having to renew the RLS, the package I could have got with TalkTalk would have been cheaper, but I've been with Virgin for a long time, and generally find their service very good and reliable, so I'm sticking with 'em!

Also, I'm led to believe with the imminent arrival of the V6 box on the market, the V+ box may well soon be rendered obsolete and unusable.

0 Kudos