Menu
GTBphotographic
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

V+ Box Swap

I had an email ages ago about a box swap for our V+ box, but so far have done nothing with it. My wife & daughter both have content recorded on the V+ box that they don't want to give up (my life wouldn't be worth living if I just went ahead with the swap) - is there any option to keep the V+ box after the upgrade to Tivo (not for watching live TV, but purely for the recorded content)? Also is there any option to go for a 1Tb Tivo rather than the standard 500Gb or do we need to get the standard one first & then have a upgrade? (seems like a lot of hassle if that is the case)

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: V+ Box Swap

The box swap is coming about because VM are starting to move channels to a different compression standard that your V+box cannot decode. So eventually you will start losing the content you are paying for. The only way to keep the box is if VM will move it to a Multiroom setup, so you will have to pay for it as an extra box on your subscription. This will also involve an engineer visit, as the box has to remain wired into VM's network to continue operating.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Multiroom charge is £6.50 per month, plus a one-off fee of £50 for the additional wire-up. You initially will lose HD channels & OD content, but eventually SD channels will also move over, as MPEG4 can be used for both & is far more efficient in terms of network resources.  

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you've managed this long with a 160gb v+ I'm sure the 500gb will be fine.

Recordings will be disabled once you activate the tivo
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The box swap is coming about because VM are starting to move channels to a different compression standard that your V+box cannot decode. So eventually you will start losing the content you are paying for. The only way to keep the box is if VM will move it to a Multiroom setup, so you will have to pay for it as an extra box on your subscription. This will also involve an engineer visit, as the box has to remain wired into VM's network to continue operating.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
GTBphotographic
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Any idea how much that would be, as I can't seem to find any reference to multi-room on the VM site... 

nodrogd wrote:

The only way to keep the box is if VM will move it to a Multiroom setup, so you will have to pay for it as an extra box on your subscription. This will also involve an engineer visit, as the box has to remain wired into VM's network to continue operating.

Thanks Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
GTBphotographic
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Other than the HD channels, is there anything else that we'd lose by sticking with the V+ box instead of doing the upgrade? (Presumably the HD channels would still be available online via the TV anywhere service)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Multiroom charge is £6.50 per month, plus a one-off fee of £50 for the additional wire-up. You initially will lose HD channels & OD content, but eventually SD channels will also move over, as MPEG4 can be used for both & is far more efficient in terms of network resources.  

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
GTBphotographic
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I understand that it is possible to archive the recordings off to DVD with a DVD Recorder. As these seem to have pretty much disappeared from shops in recent months, are there any other ways to archive off the contents? Would one of the combined DVD / HDD devices work? Is it possible to archive these to PC - avi or mkv or something?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The most important thing with a DVD recorder is that it has a SCART input. Many new ones do not. If you archive to a PC then you need one with an analogue video card & software. Again these are becoming rare now. There is no way to copy in digital format due to the copy protection employed.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
jmckay59
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If I do not have a dvd recorder, can I use a laptop with built-in recorder to transfer the programmes?

0 Kudos
GTBphotographic
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Apologies if this is a stupid question - but would something like this work? 

USB Widget

0 Kudos