Menu
brianhu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Upgrade to TiVo - what happens to recorded stuff on V+ box

We are being upgraded from V+ to TiVo soon.  I have still got around 30 hours of saved recordings from when we went on holiday recently and have not yet caught up.  What will happen to them when the boxes are swapped?  For instance, can we keep the old V+ box until we have watched them all, or do we lose them if we can't watch them before the swap?

0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Upgrade to TiVo - what happens to recorded stuff on V+ box

As far as I know from previous experience you will loose the recordings.At least that's how it works with V+ boxes not sure about TiVo but TBH I think they will be a gonner that has always been the fault with the VM boxes the inability to remove to PC or external hard drive
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The only way to preserve recordings is to record to a DVD recorder or analogue video capture card on a PC via the VCR Scart. This all has to be done in real time, & HD to analogue quality is pretty awful.

What is commonly overlooked is that the licence for recording of programmes provided by the broadcasters is for the purpose of timeshifting only, not to make permanent recordings.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
praxis
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Always thought this was a major flaw not only with VM boxes I think Sky box has same issue. TBH most TV digital recording boxes are the same once you record something if the box fails or you change your box your stuffed. One of the few boxes that you can transfer recordings from is the Humax brand SD recordings to PC is really easy HD recording transfer is not worth the hassle. If VM boxes Ethernet socket was usable it might be an option for SD recordings.
0 Kudos