Menu
DaBodin
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Unable to record/forward/rewind/pause on V+ HD

Hey Everyone,

So recently I got the Virgin Media Big Kahuna bundle with 2 boxes, a Samsung "TiVo" and a Cisco "V+ HD" (Cisco 4585DVB).

The Samsung one doesn't have a chip card (despite having a slot at the back) inserted at the back (as I didn't get one given), however it allows me to record TV, forward, rewind and pause.

The Cisco device DOES have a chip card inserted, BUT doesn't allow to pause, record, forward or rewind. Instead it comes up with a little box asking to upgrade. Both devices were installed the same day and are part of the same bundle.

Is that part of the bundle (not being able to use it fully), or is it an issue of sorts?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Unable to record/forward/rewind/pause on V+ HD

The Cisco box you have is a non recording V HD, not the V+ HD PVR.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can't do that with live TV as the box would need a hard disk to buffer the channel, which the V HD doesn't have.

The buttons exist on the remote for two reasons:

1. It's a shared remote for all V boxes so will include the V+ HD for those people that have it.
2. The buttons are also used to control On Demand - where Play / Pause etc do work.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The Cisco box you have is a non recording V HD, not the V+ HD PVR.
0 Kudos
DaBodin
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recording, fine.
Doesn't explain not being able to Pause/Rewind/Forward (despite those buttons existing on the remote).
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can't do that with live TV as the box would need a hard disk to buffer the channel, which the V HD doesn't have.

The buttons exist on the remote for two reasons:

1. It's a shared remote for all V boxes so will include the V+ HD for those people that have it.
2. The buttons are also used to control On Demand - where Play / Pause etc do work.
0 Kudos
DaBodin
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Alright, thanks.

Another question then, what's the point of a USB port at the back of the unit? I haven't found a way to play stuff from USB storage devices.

Also, how would I "upgrade" so to say, to a better model (or I could just buy a unit myself). If I were to upgrade the current unit, what would be the new unit's model? (This is solely for the purpose of looking at what's cheaper, buying the unit from a retailer, or upgrading through Virgin).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The USB was part of the design that never ended up being used.

In regards to options, your immediate one would be an option to swap it out for a 500GB TiVo. This would be a one off £14.99 and then an extra £1 a month compared with what you are paying for the V HD now.

Also you can only get Virgin Media kit directly from Virgin Media, as the kit is rented as part of your subscription. Virgin Media kit from any other source will not work.
0 Kudos
DaBodin
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't be getting the "Virgin Media" kit from a different supplier, but rather a unit itself (unbranded, I've done enough research and found that it is possible to obtain an unbranded Samsung "TiVo" unit).

But for the sake of making it easy, I'll just go with the Virgin's deal of £15 and an additional £1/MO.
Do I have to call Virgin? Because it says I can't do it online (the website provides no reason for it whatsoever)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

DaBodin wrote:
I wouldn't be getting the "Virgin Media" kit from a different supplier, but rather a unit itself (unbranded, I've done enough research and found that it is possible to obtain an unbranded Samsung "TiVo" unit).

There is no unbranded Samsung TiVo unit. Virgin Media contracted Samsung to make their TiVo boxes.

So the Samsung TiVo boxes are all Virgin Media kit, but as they are not supplied by Virgin Media directly they will not work. Samsung TiVo boxes sourced from other suppliers are basically door stops, and in fact they should have been returned by whichever customer they came from when that customer stopped being Virgin Media customer (which is what your T&Cs say)

DaBodin wrote:
But for the sake of making it easy, I'll just go with the Virgin's deal of £15 and an additional £1/MO.
Do I have to call Virgin? Because it says I can't do it online (the website provides no reason for it whatsoever)

Yes, if you give Virgin Media a call they will be able to arrange for a delivery of a TiVo box for you to swap with the V HD box. Virgin Media no longer ask for the V HD boxes back so they can be recycled at your local council's electrical recycling point.

0 Kudos
DaBodin
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Alright,
Thanks for all the support, I'll be calling Virgin tomorrow so I can get an identical Samsung box in my bedroom.

I live alone, so I guess I'll have 2 TiVos all to myself Smiley Very Happy
0 Kudos