0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ultra HD/ 4K

The present  VM TiVO box is not 4k capable. The first TiVO with this capability has just been released to the US media market, & a new standard VM TiVO is rumoured to be not far down the road.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The present  VM TiVO box is not 4k capable. The first TiVO with this capability has just been released to the US media market, & a new standard VM TiVO is rumoured to be not far down the road.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I have just brought a 4K TV and so hopefully VM will follow what BT have done and do something. They keep putting the prices up,so it's only fair that we get something better to reflect these unnecessary price hikes constantly
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Except currently the only real place where 4K content exists is on Netflix or Amazon Prime, not on broadcast channels. So you more than likely already have access to these services on your 4K TV.

So even if Virgin Media had a 4K compatible STB available today, they wouldn't have anything to show that you couldn't already get.

Although BT do have linear 4K content, it's exclusive to their TV service and only covers Sport.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

They should work with BT and get access to the 4K channels just like they did with the sports channels
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

And who is to say that Virgin Media aren't doing so for whenever they launch a 4K compatible box?

However BT are currently using the 4K channel as a way to entice people to join their TV service, so it would be up to BT as to whether they want either Virgin Media or Sky to carry the 4K channel even when both have compatible hardware.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

With the SkyQ box being launched next month, the satellite 4k capability will soon be there, & if the system works the same as it does now, BT can bypass Sky & sell the 4k product direct to satellite customers as they do now. As for VM, yet again it will be a case of wait and see.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
anthony_b
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

And once again VM customers will be left behind and will carry on paying huge fees etc
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

With the SkyQ box being launched next month, the satellite 4k capability will soon be there, & if the system works the same as it does now, BT can bypass Sky & sell the 4k product direct to satellite customers as they do now. As for VM, yet again it will be a case of wait and see.

Possibly, although BT are currently delivering their Ultra HD content via streaming, not via any normal broadcast technology, we'll have to see if BT create an Ultra HD channel on satellite in the first place. There is no guarantee that they will.

0 Kudos
Advocate
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

It's bad enough that I've had to get the Big Kahuna package to ensure that As many channels as possible are in HD, I dread to think how the UHD rollout will go.  Virgin Media should be leading the pack with their TV offerings, just as they do with broadband, by making sure that no matter which TV package you opt for if a channel is available in HD then that's what you get, not using it to up sell to a more expensive package.

0 Kudos