Menu
SteveDerby01
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ultra HD/4K

When will Ultra HD be available via Virgin given BT have launched their service?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ultra HD/4K

SteveDerby01 wrote:

When will Ultra HD be available via Virgin given BT have launched their service?

As there's no HDR 4KTV's available as of yet it seems a bit premature not to mention no 4k broadcasts (except BT sports and I don't think they'll share)

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

SteveDerby01 wrote:

As there's no HDR 4KTV's available as of yet it seems a bit premature not to mention no 4k broadcasts (except BT sports and I don't think they'll share)

SteveDerby01
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Cheers I have a 4k TV already and I have BT Infinity so I was considering taking the BT TV but like my Virgin service so I was hoping Virgin had something in the pipeline coming soon.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

SteveDerby01 wrote:
Cheers I have a 4k TV already and I have BT Infinity so I was considering taking the BT TV but like my Virgin service so I was hoping Virgin had something in the pipeline coming soon.

Unfortunately any 4K TV bought before April this year is unlikely to be able to view 4K TV as it can't cope with the 50 FPS frame rate and the new High Definition Range standard has yet to be implemented in any TV currently on the market, some of the very newest TV currently being sold claim they can with a firmware update but that's not guarantied there are going to be a lot of angry 4K TV customers who will find that their TV won't work with the 4K boxs

kenmacdonald63
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have a samsung js9500

it is HDR ready.

there are now about 5 Uhd TVs on the market with HDR 

0 Kudos
antouank
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I'm about to move from BT to Virgin.

At the Virgin Media shop they assured me that I'll be able to get "all the BT sports channels", including the Ultra HD one, but they are ignorant ( or lying ) since the Ultra HD channel doesn't seem to be included from what I see in the website.

So can someone answer responsibly whether a Virgin broadband customer can or will be able at some point get the Ultra HD BT Sports channel?

Whether the client has a 4K TV or not is irrelevant.

There are plenty of 4K TV in the market anyway.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

antouank wrote:

At the Virgin Media shop they assured me that I'll be able to get "all the BT sports channels", including the Ultra HD one, but they are ignorant ( or lying ) since the Ultra HD channel doesn't seem to be included from what I see in the website.

So can someone answer responsibly whether a Virgin broadband customer can or will be able at some point get the Ultra HD BT Sports channel?

You have been mis-informed.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

antouank wrote:

The only box that could cope with UHD is the TiVO, & this would require a firmware upgrade, which is still at the development stage in the US. It is also irrelevant whether you have Virgin Broadband. You need Virgin TV & subscribe to BT Sports to get the current SD/HD channels & Red Button streams. If/when UHD arrives it will only be available via this means

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
chrispol
Just joined
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Really? I went into my local branch of Hughes yesterday. They have a whole range of 4K TVs from well under 1000UK. I have no doubt that there are plenty of other retailers who offer much the same.

Most major content providers either already offer UHD (aka 4K, tho I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about what each means) or are about to launch it. Virgin are way behind the ball now. Unless they get into this market, and fast,  they will be dead in the water. 4K isn't coming, it's already here.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

chrispol wrote:

Really? I went into my local branch of Hughes yesterday. They have a whole range of 4K TVs from well under 1000UK. I have no doubt that there are plenty of other retailers who offer much the same.

Most major content providers either already offer UHD (aka 4K, tho I'm not going to get drawn into an argument about what each means) or are about to launch it. Virgin are way behind the ball now. Unless they get into this market, and fast,  they will be dead in the water. 4K isn't coming, it's already here.

No it's really not, the final standard will only be unveiled this week, and any "UHD" TV for the price you are quoting will go the way of the old "HD Ready"  TV's ie not fit for purpose

0 Kudos