Menu
Vormulac
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

UHD on Virgin

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of queries of this nature on here, all answered by knowledgeable people, but none actually addressed by Virgin. 
I have a new 4k tv, it's very pretty, the 4k content on Netflix looks astounding. The problem is that like a lot of people all my sources (tivo, games console, blu-ray player) feed into an AV amp which then feeds the video source to the tv; so the general response of 'But your new tv has the netflix app on it, use that.' is correct, but less than ideal as it means I have to use the sound system that the tv has to offer rather than the far superior surround system - I would like my lovely UHD visuals to be accompanied with a soundtrack of similar magnificence.

So the question is this: Does anyone know the official line on when Virgin will be providing us with Tivo (or similar) boxes that *can* handle 4k content?

Cheers!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
degs62
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: UHD on Virgin

I have the same problem, I think i'll be getting Sky Q rather than wait for virgin to catch up.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Nothing official yet. All the current rumours are pointing at early next year.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

degs62 wrote:

I have the same problem, I think i'll be getting Sky Q rather than wait for virgin to catch up.

SKY Q is not UHD compatible.

You'll need SKY Q Silver + a subscription to the 4K content you want (Sky sports or Cinema) to get UHD. Okay not STRICTLY true you can get some wildlife documentaries without taking the cinema or sports, but the vast majority is on those service. And it hasn't launched yet.

Can you tell Ive looked? LOL. Personally Ill wait and see what the market has to offer early next year when UHD content should start filtering through a bit more.

0 Kudos
degs62
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have netflix and can't get the 4k content through my tivo box with that which is a bit poor .

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The maximum capability of the current TiVo is 1080P (pass through only).

0 Kudos