Menu
StephenAllan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

True channels

Does anyone know if or when Virgin will have the channels True Movies 2, True Drama and True Crime as at the moment they only have True Movies 1 and True Entertainment and I am sure the other channels would be popular also?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: True channels

As with all channels, there are agreements between the broadcasters & the platforms. True Movies & True Entertainment are subscription channels (L & XL customers only) on VM, but are also available for free to Freeview & Freesat customers. This is a decision made by the broadcaster to take a cut of VM's subscription income, & while this is in place I cannot see the other channels being added anytime soon.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
StephenAllan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The channels are available on Sky and the broadcaster must take a cut of Skys subscription income and if Sky are still willing to have those channels then I think surely Virgin should too.  Surely the channels would be popular on Virgin if they added them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

StephenAllan wrote:

The channels are available on Sky and the broadcaster must take a cut of Skys subscription income and if Sky are still willing to have those channels then I think surely Virgin should too.  Surely the channels would be popular on Virgin if they added them.

Anything that is FTA on Freesat is also FTA on Sky. To be on Freesat the signals have to be unencrypted (Freesat boxes are FTA receivers with an enhanced EPG) so any satellite receiver can pick these channels up without a subscription.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
StephenAllan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh I see.  So that means that Sky only need to pay for the channels that they have which are not available on Freesat as any channel that is on Freesat can be picked up by a satellite dish with Sky meaning they do not have to ask permission for the channels and pay a price for them?  I hope I am right here as that would explain why Sky have more channels than Virgin.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sky very rarely pay out to content providers. They own the encryption system that allows them to charge for the channels, so they have a monopoly on the pay side of satellite. Anything that is outside that encryption system is available to everyone. If a free channel is only listed on Sky's EPG but not Freesat (eg Horse & Country), these channels can be manually tuned in by the customer by simply switching the box to STB mode.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
StephenAllan
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

How did they manage to get to own the whole encryption system without other satellite providers sharing ownership of the encryption I wonder.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Several companies have tried to set up against Sky on satellite & failed to even launch. I can't see this ever changing. OFCOM are keen on competition, but tip-toe around Sky every time there are any complaints about their monopoly.

& if you are in any doubts about the lengths Sky might try going to when faced with competition, remember this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17494723

SU1617jpeg.jpg

0 Kudos
StephenAllan
Tuning in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sounds to me like Ofcom are scared of Sky.

0 Kudos