Menu
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo 'suggestions'

jenfamily wrote:

hello again and very sorry to trouble you.

I've recorded more shows since we last messaged each other but still there are no recorded suggestions.I was definitely getting about two or three suggested recordings every day.I thought i'd contact you again in case you had any idea whether ( as others have had the same problem and say it's a problem at Virgin's end) ultimately Virgin should replace the box again?

cheers

Steve

As others have pointed out, there is a problem with the boxes not recording suggestions. It only affects a small number of customers and it seems to be more common on the V6 boxes. As far as I know, they haven't pin-pointed the cause but it's likely a software issue. The fault reference is NKE9588. The only thing you can do is ring faults again and ask them for an update. Also keep an eye on this thread.

Do check your settings though and make sure suggestions are set to record and the power settings are set to 'Snooze (suggestions on)' or 'Always on'. Turning off suggestions, rebooting the box and then turning them back on again has also been suggested.

I would also advise speaking to customer services (the 'thinking of leaving us' option when you ring up) and see about getting your bill credited for this problem. Suggestions are a feature of the TiVo/V6 boxes and you're paying for the privilege of having the box so you should be able to use it to its full functionality.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 12 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure which box I've got but can tell you that the one before this was installed in December 2017,then replaced about May /June time for what looks like exactly the same box.My two sons have never needed to change their boxes and it records suggestions all the time .Perhaps I should give customer services a call. Someone suggested that they should give me a credit / refund for this

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like the V6 if it's small and can record 6 channels it's the new v6, if it's bulky and recorded 3 channels it's the first gen.
Investigating in to this further it sounds like the v6 more that's having problems. I did also tweet vm about this and all I got told was contact technical support.
0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I only records 3 channels so is likely to be the first gen whatever that means.Am I right in thinking that Virgin have only started recently advertising a new deal for new customers £55 per month and a box which records 6 channels?

Steve

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 15 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Well the V6 has been out now for a good 8 months now definitely better than the first gen despite the suggestions problem, could be worth ringing relations for an upgrade
0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you again

I rang 150 and eventually got through to a call centre in India but the guy was helpful and ran a few tests,asked me to turn off and on the 'record suggestions' which I'd already done on your or someone's recommendation and reboot the box.He says he's made out a ticket and within 24hrs it should be solved!!!

I'm not a great believer in what they say...let's see what happens.

Steve

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to be pessimistic but I doubt he's actually done anything to be honest with you. Do keep us posted though.

It seems more than a coincidence that the issue only started after they replaced your box. If they can't get it sorted, I would ring faults again and insist another engineer comes out and that you suspect your box is faulty because the old one didn't have this issue.

If they're not being helpful, I would then speak to retentions (the "thinking of leaving us" option when you ring up) and make a complaint about this. Make sure you specifically say "I would like to make a formal complaint" about the way this has been handled. They should take you seriously at that point and make reasonable efforts to get the issue sorted and some credit applied to your bill.

0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You're right!

About an hour after I spoke to the gentleman in India a man with a northern accent called me back to say he'd got confusing notes from India which seem to keep dwelling on 'wish list' I'm reliably told that this means 'suggested recordings'

The man I spoke to seemed to let slip that the boxes are 'refurbished' and that whilst I didn't have this issue with the first box it could be to do with how the 1st & subsequent box was formatted!!!

The latest advice is to ensure that programs I record are rated with thumbs up so from now on I'll probably rate everything I watch whether I like it or not with 3 thumbs up and see if this makes any difference. After that he suggested wiping clean all thumbs up and all recorded programs ( in the settings ) to see if that works then thirdly if it doesn't call them and they'll format the box ( although he stressed this was a last resort as it would be like starting from scratch but to me what's the difference, by then I'd have watched all recordings anyway.

I brought up the point of credit /refund but he said the service which I subscribe to is for the programs I watch and not these features but to me that doesn't sound right!

cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 19 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No, your wish list is not the same as suggestions.

Yes, most of the TiVo boxes are refurbs as they're old tech now. I would say upgrade to the V6 box, but people with these are having the same issue.

They shouldn't be saying things like "that's not included in the price you pay", that's completely wrong. This feature is a key selling point of their TV service and customers take out a contract with Virgin rightly expecting to be able to use it. Your service should work to its full functionality and if not you absolutely should receive some compensation. From what they've told you it seems they're not even aware that this is a known fault with a reference number. Did you tell them about all the people with the same problem posting on these forums?

Here is the complaints procedure. If you ring up again tell them you're making a complaint and if they can't help, you want it escalating to a manager then they might take you a bit more seriously.

Issues like this make me glad I've not upgraded my V+ HD box, no issues with suggestions because it doesn't have it! Smiley LOL

jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello and thank you again.

I'm sure I did mention to the chap up north that other people on the forum had mentioned this problem but I'm just waiting to see if it starts recording any suggestions now that I've triple ticked some of the recordings in 'my shows.Then I think he wanted me to clear all the recordings and reset the box from scratch,If that doesn't work I will start stamping my feet!

I will follow your advice and complain about compensation for being without this feature. I'm normally better at writing letters rather than thinking of the right things to say at the time on the phone.What is a V+ HD box? Is it a more original box? if the V6 is the latest box and I have the one which allows you to record ,I think 2 channels ( not 3 ) whilst watching one,which one do I have? 

Steve

0 Kudos