Menu
Highlighted
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Tivo 'suggestions'

Hi everyone,

My previous TiVo box was replaced due to overheating issues and since receiving the replacement box I've haven't noticed any programmes are being recorded under 'suggestions' nor 'HD' unlike the first box which seemed to be recording stuff regularly.

Is there a setting which may be turned off without me realising it or is it purely down to me to mark programs with a thumbs up?

I am still concerned that our Wi-Fi which my son tells me works ok about 5 days out of 7 seems to drop on Sunday evenings.I suspect this is because of peak times....is that so?

Steve

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tivo 'suggestions'

You can copy your thumbs data, series links & wishlists on to your new box by visiting this page - http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/

However you may want to start afresh as it seems the more data that is stored on the TiVo boxes the slower they are.

About the broadband, I would ring Virgin and speak to faults. Get them to check the signal levels to your property and if they're not right they'll send an engineer out to fix them. Or you may be one of the unlucky ones who's suffering from over-utilisation issues which Virgin take a long time to fix. Do regular speed tests here in the day and in the evening using an ethernet cable to connect your computer/laptop to the Superhub to check the speed is consistent.

If you have a Superhub 1 or 2, ask Virgin to swap it for a Superhub 3. The Superhub 2ac is fine.

If you're still having issues you might want to post in the speed section of the forum. Those guys will be able to help further

Let us know how you get on.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV + Sky Sports (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 100
Phone: Talk Unlimited
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It records things you may like based on other things you've recorded in the past, not just thumbs. But yes, if you gave a show you really like more thumbs it's more likely to be recorded. If the box was recording several things at once, the program with the most thumbs would take priority, but never over shows you've manually set to record.

If you had the Superhub installed 8 months ago it's most likely a Superhub 3, you can check here. It's great to hear you're getting the quoted speeds for your broadband, just keep an eye on it at peak times.

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a problem with suggestions not recording, I and many others are having this problem

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/V6-suggestions/td-p/3296522/highlight/true
0 Kudos
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The same thing happened in 2013, see the thread...

"Where have my suggestions gone"

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Where-have-my-suggestions-gone/m-p/206...

The problem is at Virgin Media's end.

I don't want to have to wait almost 2 years for it to work again.

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is yours the original first gen TiVo or the new V6?
Only reason why I ask is when I had the first gen TiVo the dam thing would record suggestions every day, now that iv upgraded to the v6 it started to record things then about 2 months ago it stoped, iv tried turning off suggestions and back on, cleared thumb ratings and suggestions even deleted the box to start fresh.. still nothing!
It's funny how you miss thing when their gone 😀
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

jenfamily wrote:

hello again and very sorry to trouble you.

I've recorded more shows since we last messaged each other but still there are no recorded suggestions.I was definitely getting about two or three suggested recordings every day.I thought i'd contact you again in case you had any idea whether ( as others have had the same problem and say it's a problem at Virgin's end) ultimately Virgin should replace the box again?

cheers

Steve

As others have pointed out, there is a problem with the boxes not recording suggestions. It only affects a small number of customers and it seems to be more common on the V6 boxes. As far as I know, they haven't pin-pointed the cause but it's likely a software issue. The fault reference is NKE9588. The only thing you can do is ring faults again and ask them for an update. Also keep an eye on this thread.

Do check your settings though and make sure suggestions are set to record and the power settings are set to 'Snooze (suggestions on)' or 'Always on'. Turning off suggestions, rebooting the box and then turning them back on again has also been suggested.

I would also advise speaking to customer services (the 'thinking of leaving us' option when you ring up) and see about getting your bill credited for this problem. Suggestions are a feature of the TiVo/V6 boxes and you're paying for the privilege of having the box so you should be able to use it to its full functionality.

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 13 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sounds like the V6 if it's small and can record 6 channels it's the new v6, if it's bulky and recorded 3 channels it's the first gen.
Investigating in to this further it sounds like the v6 more that's having problems. I did also tweet vm about this and all I got told was contact technical support.
0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 21 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Fingers crossed. They are supposed to be working on it still but who knows when it will be fixed. If you prefer to write a letter, you'll find the address on the complaints procedure.

The V+ HD is a legacy box that was discontinued years ago. Some old customers still have them but they are being slowly phased out. They run on a different platform, they're more responsive than the TiVo boxes and catch-up is more reliable. Can only record 2 programmes whilst watching a third.

If you can only record 3 programmes you've got the TiVo. At this point I'd really push for the V6. In most cases it costs £20 but you may be able to get it for free if you make a complaint or if you re-contract your services.
0 Kudos

All Replies
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can copy your thumbs data, series links & wishlists on to your new box by visiting this page - http://anywhere.virginmedia.com/tivo/

However you may want to start afresh as it seems the more data that is stored on the TiVo boxes the slower they are.

About the broadband, I would ring Virgin and speak to faults. Get them to check the signal levels to your property and if they're not right they'll send an engineer out to fix them. Or you may be one of the unlucky ones who's suffering from over-utilisation issues which Virgin take a long time to fix. Do regular speed tests here in the day and in the evening using an ethernet cable to connect your computer/laptop to the Superhub to check the speed is consistent.

If you have a Superhub 1 or 2, ask Virgin to swap it for a Superhub 3. The Superhub 2ac is fine.

If you're still having issues you might want to post in the speed section of the forum. Those guys will be able to help further

Let us know how you get on.

0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello and thank you for your help

Regarding the 'suggestions' I think it best to start afresh ( or at least I thought I had since the box was replaced several months ago ) I have been reading up on this and having checked that under 'settings' I'm allowing the box to make suggestions rather than saying 'No' to it.

I noticed that in ''settings' ..'improve suggestions' it shows a list of everything currently recorded with a thumbs up symbol so I wonder if I were to increase to 3 thumbs up on those shows I liked a lot whether the box will now begin to suggest shows of a similar nature? e.g Panorama, Tonight program or an American Cop series. It's rather odd that when I received my first box 8 months ago that the box began making suggestions without me adding any thumbs up at all!.

I'm well happy with the speed during the day ( have just completed the speed test) which was above 200mbps but I will do it again at evenings and weekends. I think I might have  a hub 3 as it was only installed 8 months ago, I don't know of any other way of telling.

Steve

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It records things you may like based on other things you've recorded in the past, not just thumbs. But yes, if you gave a show you really like more thumbs it's more likely to be recorded. If the box was recording several things at once, the program with the most thumbs would take priority, but never over shows you've manually set to record.

If you had the Superhub installed 8 months ago it's most likely a Superhub 3, you can check here. It's great to hear you're getting the quoted speeds for your broadband, just keep an eye on it at peak times.

0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ok, by adding extra 'thumbs up' may give priority but from what you've said it alone won't make much difference to the box deciding which similar programs I like to watch. It's a bit peculiar though that I have about 20+ shows in 'my shows' and only 2 suggestions whereas none of those two are HD, whereas on the original box it almost drove me mad trying to keep up with suggestions coming thick and fast. Stil, not to worry in a way, I don't have to waste as much time deleting all those suggestions I didn't want to watch.

thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
av-115
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No, it will! It's also supposed to grab the HD variant of shows wherever possible but with Virgin's diminishing collection of HD material from it's on demand platform that could explain the lack of HD shows. Don't worry, the suggestions will be coming thick and fast in no time! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There is a problem with suggestions not recording, I and many others are having this problem

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-TV-V6/V6-suggestions/td-p/3296522/highlight/true
0 Kudos
HairyFacedHuman
Rising star
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The same thing happened in 2013, see the thread...

"Where have my suggestions gone"

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Media-TiVo-service/Where-have-my-suggestions-gone/m-p/206...

The problem is at Virgin Media's end.

I don't want to have to wait almost 2 years for it to work again.

---------------------------------------------------------------
This life hesitates to be enjoyed
Not the slightest prospect of change
Vicious circle
That I'd thought to have escaped
A lasting state of worry prolongs

Mirthless - by - Mirror Of Deception
(from the 2004 album - Foregone)
0 Kudos
jenfamily
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

hello again and very sorry to trouble you.

I've recorded more shows since we last messaged each other but still there are no recorded suggestions.I was definitely getting about two or three suggested recordings every day.I thought i'd contact you again in case you had any idea whether ( as others have had the same problem and say it's a problem at Virgin's end) ultimately Virgin should replace the box again?

cheers

Steve

0 Kudos
brooksy79
Up to speed
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Is yours the original first gen TiVo or the new V6?
Only reason why I ask is when I had the first gen TiVo the dam thing would record suggestions every day, now that iv upgraded to the v6 it started to record things then about 2 months ago it stoped, iv tried turning off suggestions and back on, cleared thumb ratings and suggestions even deleted the box to start fresh.. still nothing!
It's funny how you miss thing when their gone 😀
0 Kudos