Menu
bluemoon22
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo Box - offload content / disc upgrade

We always end up having to delete stuff from our Tivo at this time of year to make space for more Christmas TV. We also have experienced our box responding pretty slowly sometimes. For example when you ask for the GUIDE it can take some seconds before it shows up.

We are about to face the decision into what to delete to make space and this got me thinking:

1. Is there any way to archive the content to our NAS or even a USB stick and make space ?

2. Is there any way to upgrade the HDD of the Tivo (obviously this needs VM to be asked to carry out the swap) ?

3. Anyone else seen the slow response to GUIDE etc and found a good answer ?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box - offload content / disc upgrade

bluemoon22 wrote:

We always end up having to delete stuff from our Tivo at this time of year to make space for more Christmas TV. We also have experienced our box responding pretty slowly sometimes. For example when you ask for the GUIDE it can take some seconds before it shows up.

We are about to face the decision into what to delete to make space and this got me thinking:

1. Is there any way to archive the content to our NAS or even a USB stick and make space ?

Nope 

2. Is there any way to upgrade the HDD of the Tivo (obviously this needs VM to be asked to carry out the swap) ?

Nope, but you can upgrade to a 1TB Tivo

3. Anyone else seen the slow response to GUIDE etc and found a good answer ?

It's just generally slow as it's getting old and it's struggling with the new interface

0 Kudos
bluemoon22
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.....how do you get the 1TB Tivo ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media can supply a 1TB TiVo, at a cost, as a replacement BUT you will lose all your current recordings so you are worse off than today.

I think you have to ask yourself why you want to keep recordings that you haven't watched over the last year.

In your situation, I would do as you have previously done and prune out all the stuff you haven't and won't ever (have time to) watch.

0 Kudos
bluemoon22
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Am just half wondering whether the new Tivo might not run a little faster than the old one ?

The recordings are a moving feast....kids watch stuff again and again.....sometimes from more than a year ago !

0 Kudos