Menu
johnvmc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Time to reorganise TV channels?

I've recently changed my full TV package from Sky to Virgin, although I have been a Virgin (and predecessors) phone & broadband subscriber for a long time. Wouldn't it make sense for Virgin to move standard definition programmes on the channel list below the high definition equivalent channels? For example, on Sky I used to select channel 101 for BBC One HD whereas Virgin's choice is 108. ITV HD was 103 on Sky, while on Virgin it's 113. Absurdly, BBC 2 HD is 162 while the SD version is 102. What a pickle!  Might seem a bit trivial, but the current set-up seems to lack coherence, especially as more and more people have the means to view in HD. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Time to reorganise TV channels?

I, personally, have never understood why it matters.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

johnvmc wrote:

I've recently changed my full TV package from Sky to Virgin, although I have been a Virgin (and predecessors) phone & broadband subscriber for a long time. Wouldn't it make sense for Virgin to move standard definition programmes on the channel list below the high definition equivalent channels? For example, on Sky I used to select channel 101 for BBC One HD whereas Virgin's choice is 108. ITV HD was 103 on Sky, while on Virgin it's 113. Absurdly, BBC 2 HD is 162 while the SD version is 102. What a pickle!  Might seem a bit trivial, but the current set-up seems to lack coherence, especially as more and more people have the means to view in HD. 

1) Virgin still has a lot of customers with SD only boxes which share the same firmware as the HD ones.

2) Sky boxes work on postcodes, VM boxes have their channels controlled by the local cable Headend, so all boxes in the same network build area recieve the same channels on the same numbers.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Set up a favourites list
phil99
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

trouble is, it will not default to the favourite list, which is ironic really, given that it is the "Favourite list"!

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

phil99 wrote:

trouble is, it will not default to the favourite list, which is ironic really, given that it is the "Favourite list"!

Press a couple of buttons and it is there. What is difficult about that?

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
phil99
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It's the way me and others want it, i'm not saying you should have it that way, just that the choice should be there.  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

phil99 wrote:

It's the way me and others want it, i'm not saying you should have it that way, just that the choice should be there.  

To me this seems no more chaotic than Skys setup.

OK, BBC2 HD in England could move to 102 in England & BBC1 HD could move to 101 in Scotland, Wales & NI, but as said before, SD viewers would see blank sapces where these channels should be & would complain. After all OFCOM have given the PSB channels prescribed slots on the platforms, & nothing appearing on these would attract attention from the regulator.

Apart from that what do I find.

ITV HD on 178.

Channel 4 HD on 227 (it actually appears below E4 HD & More 4 HD on 136 & 138 respectively)

http://tv.sky.com/tv-guide & select HD channels

As soon as regional HD availability of the English Regions becomes a proper option (& all the SD only boxes go) things wont change on VM.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos