Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (131 Views)

TiVo frustration & Virgin lies

Last October our Virgin Broadband & TV was due for renewal, we had been a customer for about 3+ years and whilst very happy with the broadband, the TV was the opposite.

The TiVo 500gb box is awful, the UI (User Interface) is slow and frustrating.

And so I phoned up and said that I wanted to continue with Broadband but scrap the TV as we were going back to Sky.

The person on the other end was very apologetic, she said that Virgin realises that they have neglected the TV whilst concentrating on the Broadband service. However this was set to change and if I would give Virgin a chance, then I would notice improvements in the Spring.

And so I renewed the contract for TV and Broadband!

Then came the kick in the gut!

Yes Virgin had indeed improved their TV service and this was through the V6 box, it is everything that the TiVo 500gb is not. Reports are that Virgin TV is now vastly improved.

The problem is that when I was told about these improvements and convinced to sign a new contract, there was no mention that the improvement would be a new box. I had imagined that somehow a new software upgrade would be the solution and I was most certainly not told that I would have to pay for a new box in order to just get a decent TV service.

I firmly believe that these lies or hidden truths mean that I was mis-sold the contract and therefore should be allowed to get out of the contract without paying for the privilege.

Eventually out of frustration I gave up and decided to buy the V6 box, I was told it was £49.99 in previous conversations and once again they had not revealed the truth and that truth is that its about another £17 to activate the box! That is not someone coming and installing it, that is me plugging it in and £17 for someone to click a mouse button!

So I am currently searching for an out from this contract, I had been with Sky for so many years and not had any issues and I am told the new Sky Q or whatever it's called is impressive.

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5 (100 Views)

Re: TiVo frustration & Virgin lies

Hopefully you did not take a new contract when you got the V6 box?

I suspect you will struggle to get out of your existing contract early without penalty. May be best to put it down to experience and cancel 30 days before the end of your contract. At least you should qualify for new customer discounts from Sky.
Joining in
Message 3 of 5 (93 Views)

I haven't got a V6! 

At first I refused to pay as I hadn't been told I would have to but when I decided to, I was disgusted to see that as well as the £50 for the box they charge you extra to activate the thing. 

I will never sign another contract for Virgin TV again and am advising everyone I know to never touch the service, Sky are way better. 

Clearly Virgin do not look after their customers! 

0 Kudos
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5 (77 Views)

[ Edited ]
Sorry misread your post. Totally agree the old Tivo is awful, should never of had the last update which was beyond it's capabilities. My even older V+ may have less functions and boring interface but at least it responds. Hen VM's update "broke" the Tivo, they would have been better apologising and rolling back to software that worked. Too late now. Not satisfied with that they have also broken on demand and catch up, although hopefully that will be fixed "soon".

Alas I think that you are stuck until October, but don't forget to phone to cancel 30 days before.

I would not advise new customers against VM. Their poor customer services are not much different from some others, according to Which, but that does not say a lot. New customers also get the V6 box so don't have to tolerate the appalling Tivo. I would however advise them to check whether they are in an oversubscribed BB area and to cancel within 14 days if they are unhappy with their new service.
Community elder
Message 5 of 5 (49 Views)

[ Edited ]

You will not like this either but you have not actually bought the box . It still belongs to virgin. Read your contract

And it has many many bugs. Read the forum.

0 Kudos