Menu
dreamengineer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TiVo and V HD Box and HD/SD Channel issues AGAIN

Hello

I am suffering pixelation/distortion/loss of signal on my Virgin TV, 
Historically this has only been my V HD Box but its now impacting my TiVo box as well

this has been attributed to low power, I have boosters, newly run cables to my property and I am told I am on the "top tap"

I disconnected and reconnected to ensure things havent got loose, everything and still no joy,

does anyone know why I keep having this issue? can anyone help? seems to me like the price of virgin TV continues and the quality of service is declining Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TiVo and V HD Box and HD/SD Channel issues AGAIN

The prognosis doesn't look good. By the sound of it you are at the absolute limit distance wise from the service cabinet. Sounds like they have installed RG11 cable (least resistance), you are on the lowest resistance tap in the cabinet, & you have HDU's installed. The problem is you get to a point where adding further amplification just adds noise to the signal & you get nowhere. The only solution is to install a Fibre-to-Home connection as is happening in Virgins new network areas. What I don't know is if in situations like yours it can be "retrofitted" in an older HFC service area.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dreamengineer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HI Nodrogd
thanks for responding, not sure I am on the absolute distance limits as I am around 100-150m from the street cabinet. RG11 has a distance max of 600m
I agree with the amplification part to an extent hence why the last Virgin engineer recommended we re-run the cable from the cabinet to the house.
if all these parts were true id have had rubbish signal from install and every time the engineer had left.
if one of the forum admins test my equipment they might be able to address / fix it again.

fibre to the house would would be nice, however I wont go down that road in my current situation, something is at fault and id prefer Virgin to address it as currently my service is abysmal
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

150 - 200 metres will about max out a cabinet drop. If you have several peices of kit at the end of it, even with HDU's you are pushing the limit. If the amp in the cab is at the lower end of the operating tolerance range it could make the difference between services working fine & not.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dreamengineer
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again nodrogd, I have been speaking to some neighbours today 3 of which have Virgin all have the same issues as me.
all of us have a suspicion that its due to the street cabinet being broken open with a door missing leaving it open to the elements and someones KFC litter...

hopefully one of the team will pick this up and sort things out
0 Kudos
dreamengineer
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Morning Forum admins/ Virgin Team,

I was wondering if anyone picked this up and checked my equipment as its getting worse.

thanks 

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) BenD_H
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dreamengineer,

Many thanks for your message, welcome back Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that the TV services hasn't been the best, I have been able to run some tests on the TV services and I can see some downstream power level issues. 

This will need an engineer to help resolve, please can you have a little look inside your Inbox, you'll see I've sent you a Private Message. You can find this at the top right of the page, purple envelope Smiley Happy

Keep in touch.

Ben

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos