Menu
marymck
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The Case of the Invisible Magicians

Ep 3 of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is missing from Virgin Catch Up. I can't get through to VM on the phone to report it. Help!! Please!!!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: The Case of the Invisible Magicians

Hi marymck, 

Thanks for your post and apologies for the missing episode.

I have double checked at this end and can confirm it's missing from our server. It looks as though it's already uploaded to the BBC iPlayer so therefore available on TV Anywhere Online (anywhere.virginmedia.com) or the TiVo®. 

I have raised this with our surveillance team to check whether we are expecting the episode and will let you know as soon as I hear anything. 

Speak soon, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
marymck
Dialled in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Kath. Unfortunately I don't have tivo and I can't view via my computer. I did eventually manage to get through to VM on the phone and they told me the issue was reported to them on Tues. They couldn't however give me an eta of when it would be uploaded onto your system. Hopefully before it disappears forever on Saturday, so that this doesn't join the ranks of yet another series VM subscribers are unable to watch.

Does no one from VM check to see that you've uploaded programmes? It seems amazing that high profile series such as this one get missed.

Thanks for acting as advocate on this. Hopefully you'll prove more successful than I've been in the past.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi marymck, 

That's OK, I was just suggesting those as other options incase they were available to you Smiley Happy 

I can see it is raised as a fault under reference F003708961 so hopefully this means it will be available before Saturday but usually going directly to the surveillance team gets us a more real time update on things Smiley Happy 

As soon as I hear anything I shall be in touch.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Toreador
Dialled in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Any update on this? There's already been one series recently that has been ruined by a missing episode, we don't want another one.

0 Kudos
marymck
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's there! In the nick of time. It looks a bit out of focus (possibly because it's not HD?) but watchable. Fingers crossed next week's makes it with less effort required.
0 Kudos
Toreador
Dialled in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Better late than never! A shame nobody official bothered to tell anyone.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi marymck

I'm glad to hear it was updated before the new episode aired on Sunday and I hope you enjoyed watching it.

My apologies about the delay in updating you regarding this issue.  It sometimes happens the updates occur when we're out of the office and we don't get the option to pass this onto you in time.

Thanks again for keeping us updated, and if there's anything else I can help with then please let me know Smiley Happy

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

marymck
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for responding to my post Karen. You ask if there's anything you can help with. Well, yes please. In my earlier post I asked ...

"Does no one from VM check to see that you've uploaded programmes? It seems amazing that high profile series such as this one get missed."

It would be good to know, if the answer is "no", why not?

As it seems VM don't monitor the Catch Up service, it would save your customers a lot of angst and the frustration of spending hours trying to report missing shows if there were an online system of reporting them, obtaining a fault number and being able to follow up and check progress online.

As it is, if we do have the time and patience to finally get through on the phone we find we're talking to somebody across the other side of the world, who not only finds our complaints about missing programmes trivial (which I suppose to some it would appear to be ... even though others may consider it a kind of fraud not to supply something a customer has paid for) but who has never heard of the programme, who writes it down wrong even when we spell out the name letter by letter, who expects us to supply exact time, date and channel of broadcast and who, if they will give an eta at all, often gives one that is later than the 7 day cut off point. Not that they know there's a seven day cut off anyway.

It often involves blooming hard work on the part of your customers to get a show onto your Catch Up service and it really shouldn't be this hard.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello there marymck, 

The way in which we receive our On Demand content means that it is not possible to have someone check each and every show to see if it is there. 

We receive the shows from the provider, and then it is distributed to all of our regional head ends in order for them to be uploaded onto the server locally. This will be the reason why on some occasions, a show will work for some customers and not for others. The only exception for this is the iPlayer service on our TiVo® network, where in this case, the iPlayer is basically a portal onto the BBC's service, so in this case the BBC control what is available via the TiVo® directly. 

When we receive reports of missing or corrupt shows with our On Demand and Catch up services, we test them both on our TiVo® boxes and our other boxes, as they both use different avenues. If we are able to replicate the same fault here (Unless the person reporting is from the same area as us) we can raise this as a National issue, (Should the person reporting the fault be from the same area, then we have ways in testing in other regions), should it work for us here, then it is more than likely a regional issue, and we will then request that the regional head end re-upload the show so that it works for that area. 

I hope this gives you a better understanding of how the On Demand service works.

So to answer your question, it's not a viable option to have someone in each head end check every single show that is uploaded, or not uploaded. But should we ever go down that route, I personally want to put my name forward to be paid to sit in an office watching thousands of hours of TV Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos