Menu
cheezsoup
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Tecnician visit (misbehaving box)

For the first few minutes after turning on the box it will not take instructions from the remote (then it will perform all the actions caused by remote presses at once) then it goes into a period of reporting that a channel is unaviallable (code 3200) but after maybe twenty seconds of showing this info box on a black screen, the box starts showing the channel and sometimes reports an invalid smart card. Sometimes box will stay on one channel whilst displaying another channel.

So all in all a pretty sick box

Have followed all the instructions about removing card reinserting etc and the invalid card info box goes away.

Have checked the remote batteries and even changed them but as the little red light on the box flashes to 'say' it has registered a remote key press do NOT think the remote has anything to do with this behaviour.

Box is not in a dusty environment, nor is it subject to massive and sudden temperature swings, can track no reason/time/circumstances for this behaviour.

Perhaps a technician could track down the fault or,more likely, he could just swap it for a fully working unit and let people with a test bench decide what the problem is and what repairs can be made to it.

Could a VM staff member here organise a technician visit or give me contact details so I could arrange one myself

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tecnician visit (misbehaving box)

Hi there cheezsoup, 

I'm really sorry to learn of the issues you are getting with your set top box, and I'd really like to help you out. 

I've done some testing on your connection, and have noticed some irregularities, which I'd like to get checked out. I've sent you a private message in order to arrange a technician visit, could you please look to the top right of this page where you'll see a blue envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once more. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The only way to get a tech out is to contact customer services, either via 150 from a Virgin phone (free) or on 0345 454 1111 (standard landline rate). You can also wait here for a Forum Team member to look at this for you (may be several days). If there are no signal issues, the box will be replaced. As the boxes are rented, it is a lot cheaper & quicker simply to swap boxes out. If its a recording box make sure you watch any recorded material, as you wont see the old box again.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cheezsoup
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Guess I will wait. I phoned 150 and after lots of "press ...for..." finally got through to some woman I could barely understand (still I guess her English is a lot better than my Hindi) I couldn't be bothered with lots of "have you changed  the batteries in the remote" reboot the box" etc from someone I couldn't understand and would probably have to ask for clarification almost constantly so hung up.  Have lived with this problem for a couple of months now (lazy b that I am) so a couple of days will not kill me, also as this is the box in the bedroom there is not the urgency as if the main box in the lounge needed attention.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there cheezsoup, 

I'm really sorry to learn of the issues you are getting with your set top box, and I'd really like to help you out. 

I've done some testing on your connection, and have noticed some irregularities, which I'd like to get checked out. I've sent you a private message in order to arrange a technician visit, could you please look to the top right of this page where you'll see a blue envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once more. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
cheezsoup
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

YGM Huw.

0 Kudos
cheezsoup
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator