Menu
Ken3py
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Techie question about cable tv

I spoke to one of the agents at virgin and they're basically telling me that from January all v box customers will be force migrated to a tivo box and the v box will no longer work.

Obviously Virgin is a big company so what one agent says is not necessary true. Anybody heard about this?

The way this affects me is that I wanted to keep my vbox. Fair enough if it breaks down i accept it would be impossible to fix since its now no longer supported but it may last many years.
I don't see any reason why it can't continue to receive the signal and continue being used?

The only other thing they mentioned is that the tivo and boxes have codes which are assigned to them. This would be one obstacle which prevents me from continuing to use the vbox because all the TV packages being sold are for tivo boxes, so apparently yoy can't just buy a TV bundle with tivo and swap the tivo box for the vbox.

What's the truth? Anybody know how this works?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Techie question about cable tv

There is a required migration that's happening currently for some V+ HD customers getting their boxes swapped to TiVo due to changes in how HD channels are broadcast.

Additionally all current bundle offers require at least one TiVo on an account. If you don't have TiVo you can stay on your current deal with a V box, but any change to TV and you'll need to get TiVo.

As with the retirement of analogue TV, there will eventually be a final choice to make - move to TiVo or lose your TV service from Virgin Media. But we're not there just yet.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Just out of interest.. why do you want to stick with the old box?

0 Kudos
Ken3py
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The new tivo is double the size of the old box it's like an old vcr especially with the noisy hard drive inside it which never stops making noises even when not watching TV. Haven't they heard of solid state? It's hardly new technology. Plus I've had sound and video not being synchronised from the minute I switch it on and the whole thing is too complicated to operate. I don't even need half the features on the tivo so it's all just a waste. A simple small silent box like v box is all I needed.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

" new tivo" is confusing

there's  what we usually called the "old tivo"  which has been around for a few years, then there isthe very new V6 which only a few new customers have - which are you referring to ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

What BenMCr says is the right answer (as always LOL)

What Cybmole asks is the right question.

Your comparing legacy equipment with the last but one equipment. The "big" (in some cases noisy) TiVo is NEARLY the old kit as V6 launches soon. Its a better box than the TiVo and far better than the V HD boxes of yore.

So if your offered an upgrade to THAT , id take their arm off. Smaller, quieter and faster

0 Kudos
Ken3py
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Techie question about cable tv

I just looked up the v6. No i dont have the v6. It says it's not even released until end of November?

I have the version of tivo which the majority of virgin tivo users have.

And does the v6 use solid state?
0 Kudos
Ken3py
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Theres no point mentioning the v6 box. The choice I've been given right now is between the current tivo box and my v box. Given that,choice I'm saying I would much prefer the vbox.

Is.the tivo box I have now also going to no longer be given to new customers after the v6 comes out?

0 Kudos
Ken3py
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I still don't see whats so good about tivo? Does tivo give me more channels than my vbox? I don't think it does because I'm still on the same tv package. Do I get Netflix or is that a paid service?
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

same channels - that is governed but the package you choose, M, M+, L , XL.

tivo has  much better search & series link options , a few ( not very good ) apps.

it has been years since I had a V box so I don't recall exactly what it can/can' t do. It's obsolete though, and i'ts going away so live with it.

if you want the latest best TV box + multiroom on the market - go to sky !

0 Kudos